Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Mainsail outhaul gearbox

Mike Ondra

Thanks Gary and Bill. Amazingly fast response.

To answer Bill’s question, the gearbox is basically the box with top and bottom plates with lipseals that seal to the gearbox “core” (for lack of a more precise term). The drive shaft that passes up through the boom tends to bind on that “core” with rust. In pounding on the shaft the upper plate broke at all four corner screws. Its shot. Looking at a new gearbox.

With the top plate broken, the rest of the gearbox housing could easily be taken apart. I am left with the shaft through the boom, the top plate, the “core” (rusted to the shaft) and the brass gear on the “core”. I need to separate the shaft from the “core” to get is out of the boom and reuse the shaft with a new gearbox.

Gary’s “pusher” approach will likely be my next effort.

Note that the sledge hammer approach is NOT the way to do this. Annual removal and greasing cannot be over stated.

Mike Ondra

ALETES SM#240

Rock Hall, MD