From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Monday, June 06, 2016 7:33 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Mainsail outhaul gearbox

I know others have had difficulty extracting from the gearbox the shaft that drives the gypsy, an operation that often requires some significant force. After neglecting to lubricate that shaft for a year or two (maybe more) I had the same problem. Tensioning a halyard to the top of the shaft and some aggressive upward pounding with a sledge hammer succeeded in breaking the top plate of the gearbox. While this facilitated partial disassembly of the gearbox in place, we are left with the core of the gearbox and the gear still in place and frozen to the shaft which remains through the boom.

Proposed next steps:

1)      Remove the large gear from the core. It was not obvious to me how that gear is splined to the core. Can that gear be extracted downward with a gear puller?

2)      After removing the gear, my thought is to expand the core by heat which hopefully will then allow the shaft to be extracted.

Thoughts and suggestions? This is the Leroy Somer MVA M33C gearbox.

Suggestion to others, remove and grease the mainsail outhaul shaft at least once a year.

Mike Ondra

ALETES SM#240

Rock Hall, MD