Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Generator failure (Field Breaker) won’t start - UPDATE

karkauai

Hi again Alex.
Both of the part numbers you listed are the same.
Tell us again your Onan Model and confirm part numbers for control board and automatic voltage regulator.
Thanks
Kent

On Jun 7, 2016, at 9:22 AM, Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Generator back working !!!

May 19, I had an Onan technicien looking at the genset and he said it was the Control Board Part number 0305-0896
May 20 I went to Onan San Juan, the “last” control card (cost $976) is in Belgium and won’t arrive until May 26.
Checking on progress, there actually was no card left, so Onan had to manufacturer one… schedule to arrive Jun 9.
Checking on progresse now Onan says they can’t find a manufacturer for the card… but they found one in Maine… (why didn’t they see it earlier…)
The card arrived yesterday (june 6), I put it back and it worked.

Note: on Feb 28, 2015, Jean-Pierre Germain of SY Eleuthera, SM 007 wrote me: “as per Onan recommendation, I am ordering the Automatic Voltage Regulator.   Part number 0305-0896 apparently, they fail far more regularly.” he was right.

I am considering ordering a spare (just wish it was cheaper), as without that card the genset is useless: there was 2 power failure at the marina, once had to use the engine to recharge the batteries, not to mention wasn’t able to exercise the scuba compressor, etc.

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Club Nautico de San Juan, Puerto Rico

Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Generator failure (Field Breaker) won’t start
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Tuesday, May 10, 2016, 3:03 PM

Hello Mark,

I start it and it shuts down right away.
There is no load on it yet (I switch off all my 220 Volt
devices Off before I start the genset).
As Bill suggested I tried to start it with the 30 Amp
breaker off and it did not help, which means the cause is
“before” the courant leaves the genset.

The fuse that goes out is the “Field Breaker (check
generator)” which means something wrong with the
generator.
You could say it is the “Field Breaker (check
generator)” popping that causes the engine to switch
off.
I think would be more accurate to say a “module” or
something inside the generator is faulty which causes the
breaker to pop up.

I called the Onan mechanic that checked and service my
genset last year (in Florida) he is actually from Puerto
Rico and will recommend me someone.
I have zero knowledge in electronics, so even if I open it
and look at the module I doubt I will see anything that
makes sense to me…

I will keep the forum posted!

Sincerely, Alexandre

On Tue, 5/10/16, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@...
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
wrote:

Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Generator failure (Field
Breaker) won’t start
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Tuesday, May 10, 2016, 1:55 PM

       Hi Alexandre,
I need to better
understand,
 Does the generator start, run for a
little and then shut down? If so, how long does it
run?Is the “Fault Breaker (check
Generator)” that is popping to cause the
shutdown?Is this happening with no
load?  With best regards,  Mark
 SkipperSailing Yacht: Cream
Puff  www.creampuff.us
Date: Tuesday, May 10, 2016, 11:25 AM

Alexandre,
 A couple of
thoughts: the fact the
generator runs, or
briefly runs would indicate nothing
mechanical is wrong. If it were me, I would
operate on the
assumption the big wave and
the generator failure were not
connected. Is
it possible that you have a clogged fuel line
and is the electric fuel pump working
correctly? Is the
exhaust clear of any
blockage? Is the airflow into the
engine
obstructed? You can loosen a fuel line at the
 injector to check for fuel flow. You should
see fuel
leaking out when the engine is
cranked. Also, could it be a
faulty sensor
(heat or oil)? But I think either of these
would shut the generator off but they would pop
the fault
thingamajig.

   With best
regards,  Mark  Super
Maramu
2000Hull
#275www.creampuff.usCurrently
cruising:  Cambridge Cay –
Exuma Land and Sea Park - Bahamas
Date: Monday, May 9, 2016, 3:30 PM

OK. I understand the model you
have. I think it is better than mine because
it
is
simpler.
Try this: Turn
OFF the 30 Amp
230VAC breaker on
the side.
Try to start. Does it start and run OK? If
it
does, the short is external of the
generator
and your guess
is
as good as mine, but I
would start with the
shore
power/generator
solenoid box.
If you have the
same results
as before, the
short is internal...if so,
find
an authorized Onan
dealer/mechanic.
Bill Rouse

BeBe Amel 53 #387

Sent from my tablet

+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail
On May 9, 2016 4:15
PM,
"Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@...
[amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
wrote:

Good
afternoon Bill,

Regarding the
“Field
Breaker” (check generator) I put
link to
the pictures of my
genset:

http://nikimat.com/onan_mdkal_b_specs_12_volt_kubota_d1105.html

For limited bandwidth, here is the pictures
of
my front
panel

http://nikimat.com/onan_mdkal_b_specs_12_volt_kubota_d1105/onan_mdkal_b_specs_12_volt_kubota_d1105_1.jpg

I also have the DC Circuit Breakers on top
of
my Emergency
Stop and the
30 Amp 230 VAC
switch on the left side as
well.

As of now, when I start the
generator, the
“Field
Breaker” (check generator) will
pop and shut down right
away
the genset.

I also suspect
an electrical
short somewhere… just not
sure where to
start…

Thanks in advance, sincerely,
Alexandre

On Mon, 5/9/16, 'Bill
& Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@...

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht

To: amelyachtowners@...

Date: Monday, May 9, 2016,
2:54 PM

Alex,

I am not sure what you mean
by
"field

breaker."
Could you
explain that further. My Onan
has

an
Emergency
Stop switch (breaker), a DC Breaker, and a

230VAC 30 Amp breaker. This
30
Amp breaker is on the
left

side of
the generator, the
other two are on the
main

generator control
panel. Mine will not start
with either
the

Emergency
or the DC set to OFF. It will start
with
those
two

ON and the 30 Amp OFF.

Also, am I correct that you generator will

start and run, but shuts
down
when something...possibly
what

you refer
to as field breaker,
is turned ON? That
sounds

me a an electrical short.

I know we have different
models, but they

aren't
that different.

Let me
know.

Bill Rouse

BeBe Amel 53 #387

Sent from
my
tablet

+1832-380-4970 USA Voice
Mail

On May
9,
2016 3:08 PM,

"Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@...

[amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>

wrote:

Good afternoon,

The passage from Samana (Dominican Republic)
San Juan

(Puerto Rico) was
rough (as the
waive were in the nose,
so

lots of pounding.

As usual I started the
genset
to recharge the batteries,
2

or 3 minutes
later was a big
waive/pounding and it
stopped.

The “Field
breaker” pop.

I switch off
all the 220 volt
device, press the “Field

breaker” back, started then
shut down instantly, I
tried

starting with the DC
breaker
off, etc. same it shuts
down

instantly.

I don’t
even know where to start to find the
problem.

I own the ONAN MDKAL B Specs

http://nikimat.com/onan_mdkal_b_specs_12_volt_kubota_d1105.html

Unless I am mistaking there is no code to
see
(unlike
the

more recent genset).

Prior that I only used the
genset lasts week
for 18
minutes

all
was ok. Before that was a month before for
1.4 hour

exercise all the systems and all was ok.

Thanks in advance for your
help…