Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] ONAN Spare Parts

Alexandre Uster von Baar

I would like to hear on the forum, how many of us had to change it.

Is this the same control on the newer genset (MDKAV?) like on BeBe?

Kent, here is currently my list of spare parts for the Genset:
http://nikimat.com/spare_parts_ONAN_MDKAL_B_Specs_12_volt.html

I just need to change to current inventory the exhaust mixing elbow, exhaust gasket, etc. that are at the bottom.

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Club Nautico de San Juan, Puerto Rico

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] ONAN Spare Parts
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Tuesday, June 7, 2016, 8:34 AM

Wow, what a pain!  Glad it's all back
in working order, Alex.  Maybe a few of us should order
those control cards as a group if they have to manufacture
them???.  That could take months!I guess I'll go
ahead and order a spare voltage regulator.  Any other
spares that anyone keeps for the ONAN?  I have filters,
impellers, water pump, shut off solenoid, fuel lift pump,
relays, and exhaust elbow, all of which have failed on
Kristy in the past.
I took the liberty to
change the subject.
Thanks for the update
and info, Alex!
KentSM 243KristyCurrently Bonaire

Sent from my
iPhone
On Jun 7, 2016, at 9:22
AM, Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@...
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
wrote:

Generator back working !!!

May 19, I had an Onan technicien looking at the genset and
he said it was the Control Board Part number 0305-0896

May 20 I went to Onan San Juan, the “last” control card
(cost $976) is in Belgium and won’t arrive until May 26.

Checking on progress, there actually was no card left, so
Onan had to manufacturer one… schedule to arrive Jun 9.

Checking on progresse now Onan says they can’t find a
manufacturer for the card… but they found one in Maine…
(why didn’t they see it earlier…)

The card arrived yesterday (june 6), I put it back and it
worked.

Note: on Feb 28, 2015, Jean-Pierre Germain of SY Eleuthera,
SM 007 wrote me: “as per Onan recommendation, I am
ordering the Automatic Voltage Regulator.   Part number
0305-0896 apparently, they fail far more regularly.” he
was right.

I am considering ordering a spare (just wish it was
cheaper), as without that card the genset is useless: there
was 2 power failure at the marina, once had to use the
engine to recharge the batteries, not to mention wasn’t
able to exercise the scuba compressor, etc.

Sincerely, Alexandre

SM2K #289 NIKIMAT

Club Nautico de San Juan, Puerto Rico

On Tue, 5/10/16, Alexandre Uster von Baar <uster@...>
wrote:

Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Generator failure (Field
Breaker) won’t start

To: amelyachtowners@...

Date: Tuesday, May 10, 2016, 3:03 PM

Hello Mark,

I start it and it shuts down right away.

There is no load on it yet (I switch off all my 220 Volt

devices Off before I start the genset).

As Bill suggested I tried to start it with the 30 Amp

breaker off and it did not help, which means the cause
is

“before” the courant leaves the genset.

The fuse that goes out is the “Field Breaker (check

generator)” which means something wrong with the

generator.

You could say it is the “Field Breaker (check

generator)” popping that causes the engine to switch

off.

I think would be more accurate to say a “module” or

something inside the generator is faulty which causes
the

breaker to pop up.

I called the Onan mechanic that checked and service my

genset last year (in Florida) he is actually from Puerto

Rico and will recommend me someone.

I have zero knowledge in electronics, so even if I open
it

and look at the module I doubt I will see anything that

makes sense to me…

I will keep the forum posted!

Sincerely, Alexandre

On Tue, 5/10/16, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@...

[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>

wrote:

Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Generator failure
(Field

Breaker) won’t start

To: amelyachtowners@...

Date: Tuesday, May 10, 2016, 1:55 PM

       Hi Alexandre,

I need to better

understand,

 Does the generator start, run for a

little and then shut down? If so, how long does it

run?Is the “Fault Breaker (check

Generator)” that is popping to cause the

shutdown?Is this happening with no

load?  With best regards,  Mark

 SkipperSailing Yacht: Cream

Puff  www.creampuff.us

 From: amelyachtowners@...

Date: Tuesday, May 10, 2016, 11:25 AM

Alexandre,

 A couple of

thoughts: the fact the

generator runs, or

briefly runs would indicate nothing

mechanical is wrong. If it were me, I would

operate on the

assumption the big wave and

the generator failure were not

connected. Is

it possible that you have a clogged fuel line

and is the electric fuel pump working

correctly? Is the

exhaust clear of any

blockage? Is the airflow into the

engine

obstructed? You can loosen a fuel line at the

 injector to check for fuel flow. You should

see fuel

leaking out when the engine is

cranked. Also, could it be a

faulty sensor

(heat or oil)? But I think either of these

would shut the generator off but they would pop

the fault

thingamajig.

   With best

regards,  Mark  Super

Maramu

2000Hull

#275www.creampuff.usCurrently

cruising:  Cambridge Cay –

Exuma Land and Sea Park - Bahamas

 From: amelyachtowners@...

Date: Monday, May 9, 2016, 3:30 PM

OK. I understand the model you

have. I think it is better than mine because

it

is

simpler.

Try this: Turn

OFF the 30 Amp

230VAC breaker on

the side.

Try to start. Does it start and run OK? If

it

does, the short is external of the

generator

and your guess

is

as good as mine, but I

would start with the

shore

power/generator

solenoid box.

If you have the

same results

as before, the

short is internal...if so,

find

an authorized Onan

dealer/mechanic.

Bill Rouse

BeBe Amel 53 #387

Sent from my tablet

+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On May 9, 2016 4:15

PM,

"Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@...

[amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>

wrote:

Good

afternoon Bill,

Regarding the

“Field

Breaker” (check generator) I put

link to

the pictures of my

genset:

http://nikimat.com/onan_mdkal_b_specs_12_volt_kubota_d1105.html

For limited bandwidth, here is the pictures

of

my front

panel

http://nikimat.com/onan_mdkal_b_specs_12_volt_kubota_d1105/onan_mdkal_b_specs_12_volt_kubota_d1105_1.jpg

I also have the DC Circuit Breakers on top

of

my Emergency

Stop and the

30 Amp 230 VAC

switch on the left side as

well.

As of now, when I start the

generator, the

“Field

Breaker” (check generator) will

pop and shut down right

away

the genset.

I also suspect

an electrical

short somewhere… just not

sure where to

start…

Thanks in advance, sincerely,

Alexandre

On Mon, 5/9/16, 'Bill

& Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@...

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht

To: amelyachtowners@...

Date: Monday, May 9, 2016,

2:54 PM

Alex,

I am not sure what you mean

by

"field

breaker."

Could you

explain that further. My Onan

has

an

Emergency

Stop switch (breaker), a DC Breaker, and a

230VAC 30 Amp breaker. This

30

Amp breaker is on the

left

side of

the generator, the

other two are on the

main

generator control

panel. Mine will not start

with either

the

Emergency

or the DC set to OFF. It will start

with

those

two

ON and the 30 Amp OFF.

Also, am I correct that you generator will

start and run, but shuts

down

when something...possibly

what

you refer

to as field breaker,

is turned ON? That

sounds

me a an electrical short.

I know we have different

models, but they

aren't

that different.

Let me

know.

Bill Rouse

BeBe Amel 53 #387

Sent from

my

tablet

+1832-380-4970 USA Voice

Mail

On May

9,

2016 3:08 PM,

"Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@...

[amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>

wrote:

Good afternoon,

The passage from Samana (Dominican Republic)

San Juan

(Puerto Rico) was

rough (as the

waive were in the nose,

so

lots of pounding.

As usual I started the

genset

to recharge the batteries,

2

or 3 minutes

later was a big

waive/pounding and it

stopped.

The “Field

breaker” pop.

I switch off

all the 220 volt

device, press the “Field

breaker” back, started then

shut down instantly, I

tried

starting with the DC

breaker

off, etc. same it shuts

down

instantly.

I don’t

even know where to start to find the

problem.

I own the ONAN MDKAL B Specs

http://nikimat.com/onan_mdkal_b_specs_12_volt_kubota_d1105.html

Unless I am mistaking there is no code to

see

(unlike

the

more recent genset).

Prior that I only used the

genset lasts week

for 18

minutes

all

was ok. Before that was a month before for

1.4 hour

exercise all the systems and all was ok.

Thanks in advance for your

help…