Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Volvo TMD22 engine mounts

Mike Ondra

TO ALL YOU AMEL TROUBLESHOOTERS

About 10 days ago I posted the question below regarding engine/c-drive alignment and much to my surprise received no feedback as of yet. Our group typically does not hold back on comments.

I do know that alignment is an issue, to the point where some have recommended the use of feeler gauges and being attentive to 1000ths of an inch.  My question gets to the point of what is the acceptable tolerance of that alignment.  What are the actual effects of being outside the tolerance?

As I indicated in my posting, our alignment appeared visually “pretty good” (both vertical alignment and angle) and pulled together perfectly with the tightening of the coupling bolts with minimal deflections of the engine and c-drive mounts. Whatever intolerance there was “seemed” to be taken up by the engine and c-drive mount flexibility.  Remember the only parts that were changed in this project were the engine mounts and coupling bushings. No reason to believe there would be any dimensional changes between the c-drive and the engine/transmission/flange assemblies.

What I don’t know is what to expect as “reasonable” vibration in the power train assembly when under power. As I said, out of gear the engine is rock solid at virtually any RPM. When in gear, the vibration is quite obvious, and seems to be more that what we remember.

Assuming the alignment is the problem, I propose to

1)      back off the bolts on the coupling

2)      remove the engine-to-frame bolts

3)      slide the engine back a cm or so to check vertical alignment

4)      make some vertical adjustment to leveling nuts as necessary

5)      bring the assembly back together fairly tight

6)      use the feeler gauge to verify angular alignment and make final adjustment to leveling nuts

7)      re-bolt

Thoughts?

Mike Ondra

ALETES SM#240