Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Blue Sea AC Multimeter Installation

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Alex,

What you want to measure is volts, current, and frequency going to the 220 volt panel, so connections at the 220 volt panel makes sense and is what I did with the CruzPro meter I installed.

I don't think you need to drill holes because I think the holes on the back top of the 220 box will accommodate more wires, but if you do need to drill holes take care of the location.

This device may have a circular sensor (coil) to measure amps. If it does, disconnect the hot wire (brown) between the main breaker on the side of the box and the bus at the top of the box... then route that wire through the circular sensor (coil) then connect it back where it originally was located. The other required connections will be to the 220VAC Load (hot) wire (brown) and the 220VAC return (neutral wire (blue). Those two connections can be made at the bus which has large screw terminals at the top inside of the 220VAC breaker box. Your device may be setup for 24VDC lighting. If so, you'll have two wires for that.

By setting it up like described above, you can monitor your generator output of volts, amps, and frequency. You can also check volts and frequency of shore power before turning on any device. You can measure the amps that you are currently consuming.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On Jun 13, 2016 3:06 PM, "Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Good afternoon,

I just received the Blue Sea AC Multimeter 8247
https://www.bluesea.com/products/8247/AC_Digital_Multi-Function_Meter_with_Alarm

I read the instruction and understand it needs to be connected to the A/C Line 1 and A/C Line 2.

Should I connect of the Blue Sea to the Line 1 and 2 “before” it goes to the (water resistant) box of the 220 Volt panel (in which case they could potentially be exposed to water)

Or should I connect them after it goes to the 220 Volt panel box, in which case how do I have the wire going out of it (without making new holes).
Note I could run longer 16 gage to the BlueSea, but the twisted wire won't be long enough...

Pictures of installation would be nice…

As always, thanks in advance.

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT