Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Blue Sea AC Multimeter Installation

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good afternoon Bill & Gary,

First of all, thanks to both of you for replying.

Starting with Bill since he replied first.

Bill, thanks for your reply, I know you are short in bandwidth, so I will try to use the least pictures as possible.
I open the 220 Volt Panel and identify the blue and brown wire coming from the shore (or genset) to the 220 volt breaker.
To make them more visible I used red and black arrows on the below picture
http://nikimat.com/blue_sea_ac_multimeter_8247/blue_sea_ac_multimeter_8247_7.jpg
I see no problem connecting the 2 wires going to the CT to the Blue and Brown, I will connect them at the “large screw terminal” level, then run 2 wires down around/down below the box to the Blue Sea AC Multimeter
BUT unfortunately, the “circular sensor (coil) to measure amps” is too short to run the same path… The twisted wire of mine only measure 10 inches… and it needs to be at least twice that length.
So I am still considering making a tiny hole to run these twisted wires and patch with silicone (unless I get better option).
I don’t know if they are any specification on how long the twisted wire can be, or how many twist, if extension can be added (twist will be missing for 2 inches), etc
Note: The Blue Sea does not have 24 volt DC lighting.

Gary, thanks for your reply, I always have the hardest time finding files on the Amel Yahoo Forum…
I found: https://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/5036225/sn/94820671/name/Water+Maker%3AMultimeter%3AAIS+Power+Control+Box.jpg
not sure if you posted other fines.
I love your attention to detail by adding a (Radio shack) box to protect the CT unit.
But the length of the wire of the the torrid for determining the amperage is not long enough… as I just mention to Bill, unsure if extension can be added or if there is a particular specification to the twisting, length, etc.

I started to illustrate of the installation:
http://nikimat.com/blue_sea_ac_multimeter_8247.html
Unfortunately I am at a dead stop not having “Fast Fuse” 0.5 Amp 250 Volt…

Thanks again both for your great help.
Have a great evening, sincerely, Alexandre

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Blue Sea AC Multimeter Installation
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Monday, June 13, 2016, 3:14 PM

Alex,
What you want to measure is volts, current, and
frequency going to the 220 volt panel, so connections at the
220 volt panel makes sense and is what I did with the
CruzPro meter I installed.
I don't think you need to drill holes
because I think the holes on the back top of the 220 box
will accommodate more wires, but if you do need to drill
holes take care of the location.
This device may have a circular sensor (coil)
to measure amps. If it does, disconnect the hot wire (brown)
between the main breaker on the side of the box and the bus
at the top of the box... then route that wire through the
circular sensor (coil) then connect it back where it
originally was located. The other required connections will
be to the 220VAC Load (hot) wire (brown) and the 220VAC
return (neutral wire (blue). Those two connections can be
made at the bus which has large screw terminals at the top
inside of the 220VAC breaker box. Your device may be setup
for 24VDC lighting. If so, you'll have two wires for
that.
By setting it up like described above, you can
monitor your generator output of volts, amps, and frequency.
You can also check volts and frequency of shore power before
turning on any device. You can measure the amps that you are
currently consuming.
Bill Rouse

BeBe Amel 53 #387

Sent from my tablet

+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail
On Jun 13, 2016 3:06 PM,
"Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@...
[amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
wrote:

Good afternoon,

I just received the Blue Sea AC Multimeter 8247

https://www.bluesea.com/products/8247/AC_Digital_Multi-Function_Meter_with_Alarm

I read the instruction and understand it needs to be
connected to the A/C Line 1 and A/C Line 2.

Should I connect of the Blue Sea to the Line 1 and 2
“before” it goes to the (water resistant) box of the 220
Volt panel (in which case they could potentially be exposed
to water)

Or should I connect them after it goes to the 220 Volt panel
box, in which case how do I have the wire going out of it
(without making new holes).

Note I could run longer 16 gage to the BlueSea, but the
twisted wire won't be long enough...

Pictures of installation would be nice…

As always, thanks in advance.

Sincerely, Alexandre