Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Marina for wintering Greece

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Hello Aty & Mohammed,

We did not winter in Greece.  We wintered in southern Sicily at Marina di Ragusa.  It is an extremely well protected marina (barely wavelets during a 70 Kts wind) and has a large crowd of liveaboards.  The prices are the lowest in the Med in my opinion.  Our SM cost €1700 for 1 Oct to 1 May in the water.  I expect your rate would be slightly higher.  If you go there, ask for a position close to the main pier on the inside of pontoon M.  Further towards the end of the pier was the roosting place of gazilions of birds …

Of considerable benefit are the numerous fresh water springs in the port… no barnacles and very little beard on your boat come spring time.  I also know a very good “concierge”; he babysits all the Oysters which winter there each year.  He will also organize any maintenance you need with good professionals…. not always evident in So Italy.  He would probably accept your boat.

I know this suggestion is further west than you want but IMO, well worth considering.

Fair winds,

Jean-Pierre Germain,
SY Eleuthera, Amel Super Maramu 007

On 14 Jun 2016, at 09:55, mshirloo@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello every one;

We are looking to winter somewhere in Greece for the 2016 season, probably from November 2016 to May 2017. We will be cruising the southern Aegean and possibly Crete. We have to haul out so we would need somewhere with reliable lifting capability. Availability of local services and supplies would be a plus. We will not be on board so would prefer to have a local person/company that can look after the boat and periodically turn on the engine, generator and other systems. Therefore we would prefer to be in the water.

I would appreciate recommendations for marinas you have used or have personal knowledge to be safe and reliable to winter in. Also I would like to hear pinions on pros and cons of leaving the boat in the water or on the hard.

Thank you

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

Amel 54 #099