Kent
SM243
Kristy

On Jun 14, 2016, at 8:12 AM, Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Kent, I replaced my mounts last fall and all seems good , however I remember this solid coupling suggested as a means of assuring alignment . Could you describe it ? It would seem to me, that all you would need would be pipe milled to be the exact ID as the shaft's OD . The shafts would not be able to side into the pipe unless absolutely aligned . Is that basically what it is ?
Thanks,
Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Mon, Jun 13, 2016 7:08 pm
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Volvo TMD22 engine mounts

Hi Mike.
Did you know that Amel recommends (or did) using a solid coupling of the same dimensions as the Vetus flexible coupling? The engine is aligned using the solid coupling, 1/1000" tolerance. Then the solid coupling is removed and replaced with the Vetus coupling.

I had a solid coupling made at a machine shop in Puerto Rico out of aluminum.

On Kristy there is very little if any difference in vibration whether in neutral or in gear.

Hope that sheds a little more light.
Kent
SM 243
Currently Bonaire