Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Batteries

eric freedman

Hi Kent,

Did you check the water level in the batteries?

In the warm areas I always have to add a lot of water to the batteries. These “worry free” batteries are a myth—they need water in my case. Even though they are supposed to be sealed all the ones I have purchased over the years can be opened up. You might have to cut a label. If the plates are above the water the battery is usually finished.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2016 7:36 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Batteries

Hi all,
I have a question about batteries.
I just replaced my flooded lead acid batteries about a month ago. I have a 400 Ah bank and a Charles 60A smart charger.
When I first got the batteries, they lasted nearly 24 hours, When they neared 24V, I charged for about 2 1/2 hours until the charger was putting in less than 10 A. About two weeks ago they were only lasting 12 hours, with the voltage dropping to 24V after only 40 Ah of discharge. They charge back up within 1-1/2 hours.
I have checked all connections and all are tight and show no resistance. I have an electronic battery tester as recommended by Bill which shows all batteries with better than rated CCAs.
All batteries are showing the same voltage, but when I check the amperage going into each pair during charging, one pair is charging at an amp more than the other pairs.

I'm not sure how to interpret what is going on, but it seems to be acting like I have a much smaller Ah battery bank.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks
Kent
SM243
Kristy

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.