Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] DC cable sizing for larger charger

Stephen Davis

Hi Ben,

We have a Mastervolt 100 amp charger on Aloha, but have a different setup than you. We are hull #72, have a shorter cable run, and I went with 1/0 battery cable, which was a bit of an overkill. I think Bill's advice was excellent, and unless you are willing to up your cable size, you should probably stick to a smaller charger. Mastervolt also makes an 80 amp charger, and maybe the numbers would look a bit better with that.

We are headed from Trinidad to Grenada tomorrow night, and will be at Port Louis Marina next to Rick and Linda on Rascal. Hope we can get together in Grenada.

Regards,
Steve and Liz
Aloha SM72
Trinidad for not much longer...

On Jun 14, 2016, at 18:53, Ben Driver/YAHOO joedoakes66@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

It seems 100 amps will challenge my existing 25mm sq wiring.  Looks like I will keep it at 60 amp max

Ben Driver
La Bella Vita
CG #1120066
SM #347

On Jun 14, 2016, at 11:33 AM, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

When I bought a new charger I went with a 60A.  The cables from the charger go through the forward starboard corner of the engine room, then under the raised "step" between the Nav station and passageway to the battery compartment.  In that area under the "step", they are encased in a very hard material and would be very hard to replace.  You would have to look at the specs required for your new charger to see if the existing ones are adequate for the amperage and distance.
Kent
SM243
Kristy

On Jun 14, 2016, at 10:46 AM, joedoakes66@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I recently replaced my failed Dolhin 30 Amp charger with a Mastervolt 60 Amp charger.  I did not upgrade either th AC or DC wiring.  All seems to work well.  Now I'm considering replacing the 50 Amp charger with a Mastervolt 80 or 100 Amp unit.  I think AC input wire size is OK.   Amel used the same size wire for both 30 and 50 Amp units.  My concern is DC wire size.    Not sure but it appears to be 25mm sq. (3 AWG).  Again Amel used same size for both 30 and 50 Amp chargers.  My question is will this size wire support larger charger?  Or will I need upgrade to 35 or 50mm sq.?  Has anyone done this upgrade without wiring upgrade?

Ben Driver

La Blla Vita

SM 347

Prickly Bay Grenada