From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of asm283
Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2007 9:07 AM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Darn Batteries

Hi Tony

I also have the Dolphin chargers 2 50 amp units. I use them in
combination when I charge with the generator and a single unit when I
am on shore power.

If your unit is similar to the one that i have there should be a
selector switch that allows you to choose the type of battery that
you are charging. If you select the GEL setting it will charge at a
higher voltage and a higher amprage. BEWARE when you hook into shore
power make sure that you put the selector switch back to the setting
for wet cell batteries. Because if you leave it on GEL you may run
the danger of cooking the batteries. I learned this the hard way.

However, if you use this feature to slightly overcharge your
batteries say 8 to 10 hours this will help condition your batteries
and help them hold a higher voltage.

Its also important to monitor the the amount of amps that your
battery bank is accepting as well as the voltage. There is much
information out there on this subject.

Hope this helps

Vito Ciaravin

ASM 283

Anchored in Sydney harbor.

--- In amelyachtowners@ <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>
yahoogroups.com, "agav8ter" <agav8ter@...>
wrote:

Hello group,

I own SM#266. About six months ago I talked with the Amel factory
and discussed my battery / charger problems. They assured me that
needed to replace my current batteries. I did that in St. Maartin,
new wet cells. Same problem as before. We sailed to Guadaloupe
and
talked to Amel there. We were directed to Pouchon. The man at
Pouchon said that our battery charger (Nemo 50) was defective. I
told him to fix it, he said no, it was too old (1999) there were no
parts. He sold me and installed a new Dolphin 100 amp. charger.
New
batteries, new charger same old problem.

Problem;

Charger works fine, charges batteries to 27.3 volts and then
quits.
I just talked to Rolls Batteries, and they said I needed to be able
to charge to 28.4 to prevent "deficet charging" and to 31 volts to
de-
sulfate the batteries.

The batteries show 100% charge (Mastervolt) and 27.3 volts and will
stay like that with the charger going for as long as I leave it.
As
soon as the charger is off line the voltage drops to 25.6 and
starts
dropping until I charge the batteries again. Currently I must run
the generator two to three times a day to keep up with the demand.

When using the main engine and 80 amp 24 volt alternator, the same
things happens, the charge stops at 27.3 volts and about 3 - 5
aamps.

Question: Is there an Amel voltage regulator that gets both the
charger and alternator current? Where is it? Can it be adjusted?
have talked with Denis at Dolphin and it does not seem that my
charger has mulitple programs, so I can not use it to "equalize" my
batteries.

Any comments?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Tony Gray