Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Leroy Somers main outhaul gearbox

Mike Ondra

Bill and all,

Motion Industries has probably hundreds of locations across the US. My local MI is about 2 miles from my office, so super easy access at my source for seals, bearings, and anything to do with moving parts.

What they wanted to source the gearbox is the info off the nameplate which I provided as this:

LEROY SOMER MOTEURS     MADE IN FRANCE

4R4599/002/2014      MVA-60-NJ-M-H-M-_mn-1  (the mn could be min, it’s hard to read)

MATERIEL LUBRHEAVIE (that last word was also very hard to read)

(I think the MVA portion tells it all with MVA being the gear box model and 60 being the gear reduction. What the rest of the letters represent I did not research.)

Their quote for the gearbox was $462.34. I would pick it up so that price is without tax and shipping. As I said the lead time was 14 weeks as it is a special item from France.

To answer Eric’s question. We do have an autoprop, “water-cooled”, ie. no grease. I do have the grease nipple and IP thread Tap to install it. I think that is a good add to this to the gearbox since the horizontal installation of the lip seal is not the best for water exclusion with perhaps the best defense being semi-annual greasing. Reminder - this does not preclude the problem of the seizing and the need to protect the gypsy shaft which sees none of this grease.

Since I have sourced this if others are interested in buying a spare, I would be happy to put together a bulk order and distribute to US addresses when they come in. Just let me know ….mdondra at Verizon dot net.

Mike Ondra

ALETES SM#240

Rock Hall, MD

From: "'Mike Ondra' mdondra@... [amelyachtowners]"