Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] GENSET ONAN CUMMINS cannot restart after fuel filter and oil change

Bill Kinney <greatketch@...>

I am puzzled…

How can the fuel “syphon” back from the tank through the return line?  Amel’s drawing of the tank does not show a dip tube (and there certainly shouldn’t be one!) on the return fitting on the top of the tank.

It seems that if the only way this could happen is if the tank is filled so full the level is up into the fill line with NO air in the tank at all.

Bill Kinney
SM#160 Harmonie
Port Canaveral, Florida

On Jun 15, 2016, at 21:41, amelliahona <no_reply@...> wrote:

Dominique:

I just replaced my electric priming pump on my SM #335 Onan Genset.  I did not have access at the time to a proper FLARE NUT WRENCH when I did this.  I ended up distorting the "B-nut" on the small copper fuel line that goes from the fuel pump to the fuel filter adapter and could NOT get a proper seal upon replacing this line (a continuous small seep of fuel that was really annoying and messy).   I had to order a replacement line (not that expensive) and buy a proper set of flare nut wrenches to adequately get a seal.   I wish I could remember the size of the flare nut but it was SAE (not metric) sized.    Make sure the fuel tank is low on fuel (think 250 liter will work) otherwise a continuous stream of fuel will flow by syphon from the fuel tank fuel return line while you make this plumbing change.  I managed to turn this otherwise simple replacement into a major project based on A) not using the proper tools to loosen and re-install the B-nut of the fuel line, B) not have lowered the fuel in the tank (mine was full at the time of my work).

Good luck.  The pump was about $65 as I recall (not that expensive in the scheme of things) and the fuel line was about $8

Sincerely,

Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM #335    Puerto Rico