Re: Upgrade to Raymarine ES97 MFD

svperegrinus@yahoo.com

Hello Craig, it's great to hear from you.  I'll write you at your @aol address to follow up on the Livorno situation!

Regarding getting the AIS to become a source:

On Zeus2: Select "Settings" then "Network" then "Sources" then "Position" then you get a pop-up menu with all the potential sources, including in our case Zeus2 7, ZG100, or NAIS 400, with a checkbox next to each.  You hit whatever checkbox, and boom!, that source becomes the source for all Tritons, Zeus2, and Zeus.

On Zeus: Hit the "Menu" button twice, you get "Settings", select "Network"... from that point it is the exact same as Zeus2.

On Triton: Hit the lower right button (the one with a "return" arrow symbol), scroll down to "Setup", return, scroll down to "Advanced Settings", return, select "Sources", return, scroll down to "Position", return, you get the same menu with all the potential sources.  Hit whatever checkbox, hit the upper right button (the one with a "page" symbol), boom!, that source becomes the source for all "default" Tritons, Zeus2, and Zeus.

Now, the Zeus2 and Zeus have something that the Tritons don't have... which is the ability to use an individualised source for just that device!  On Zeus2 and Zeus, just before the list of available sources, you get "Group" which can be "None" or "Default".  "Default" means "global" to your entire network.  "None" means "whatever device I pick next, it is for this Zeus or Zeus2 only".  So I just did, for example

(1) Zeus2 using NAIS-400
(2) Zeus and Tritons using the GPS built inside the Zeus2

Once you make your Zeus or Zeus2 pick "Group:None", it will stay with the individualised option for that device and if you select another source with, for example, the Tritons (which as simpler devices are always forced to make a "Group:Default" choice), that selection will not affect any devices set for "Group:None".

One final point: your NAIS-400 came with an USB cable and a program called proAIS2 on a CD-ROM.  You may need to connect to your NAIS-400 via the USB cable from a PC or from a PC simulator (we use "Parallels" from a Macintosh) that has the proAIS2 software, and use this software to tell the NAIS-400 that it is allowed to issue GPS data to the network.  Once you make that choice, the NAIS-400 will remain available as source unless you change back this setting again with a PC or Mac via USB with proAIS2.

Any questions, happy to help.

Peregrinus
SM2K N. 350 (2002)

---In amelyachtowners@..., <sangaris@...> wrote :

Hi Francesco,
As you'll recall, we've got similar B&G equipment, although we do not have the ZG100. I wanted to use the NAIS-400 GPS antenna as master, but could not find it in the menus. A tech guy at B&G then said that it was dedicated to the NAIS, does not "talk" on the network and, hence, cannot be selected as master.  We just use the Zeus2 7 or 12 and, as you note, they work perfectly.  If you found a way to access NAIS GPS in the menu, I'd love to know - or is it the ZG100 you access?
By the way, I recall us chatting about the Autopilot controller - they had just come out with the WR10 wireless remote when we bought our equipment. They had some early software glitches with it but last November's release totally cured that. It's become our favorite bit of gear you might want.
Are you guys heading east toward Portofino and LaSpezia? If so, give Livorno a try - we thought it would be a bit dingy but it was excellent - kind of a "poor man's Venice" where you can dinghy around the canals and the downtown area is super. Free bikes at the marina, too.
Hugs to Odette,
Craig and Katherine

---In amelyachtowners@..., <svperegrinus@...> wrote :

Yes, we also have 3 GPS sources:

1.  The B&G ZG100 GPS sensor
2.  The GPS built into the B&G Zeus2
3.  The GPS antenna dedicated to the B&G AIS (NAIS-400)

Any of those can be set as the "master" for the entire network.  I've switched among them on the fly and tried to see if there was any difference in position or SOG, and as expected, there was nothing discernible.

Cheerio,
Peregrinus
SM2K n. 350