Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Gas struts for engine room hatch

karkauai

Bon Tardi from Curaçao, Alex.  I guess you set the standard with Bansbach.  By the time I bought mine they were $75 each including shipping.  It's rare that I get a better price than someone else!
Kent

On Jun 20, 2016, at 4:36 PM, Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Good memory Kent,

I purchased 2 from
Bansbach easylift in Florida 321-253-1999
Esteban Contreras estebanc@...

A1A1N40-250-608/400N 316L Stainless Steel
Meaning a stroke of 250 mm with 608 mm overall
400 NM resistance
The stroke is 8 mm
The Diameter of the cylinder is 19 mm
With 8 mm hinge on each side.

Took a few weeks to build
They were $125 each (and free shipping).

These were the highest standard they are, guaranty for 10.000 opening...
They also had a cheaper standard line.

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Club Nautico de San Juan, Puerto Rico

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Gas struts for engine room hatch
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Monday, June 20, 2016, 3:20 PM

Hi Ben,If you look back several
months (maybe a year) I think it was  Alexandre posted a
source for these in the US.  Stainless steel and very
reasonably
priced.KentSM243Kristy
On Jun 20,
2016, at 8:50 AM, Ben Driver/YAHOO joedoakes66@...
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
wrote:

Bill, Did you buy these struts
from Amel?Ben

Ben DriverLa Bella VitaCG
#1120066SM #347
Sent from my
iPad
On Jun 20, 2016,
at 6:48 AM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@...
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
wrote:

Derick,
My experience is they will last
about 6-8 years...my experience with the original two. I
think you should replace them in pairs...I did not, but that
is another story. Do not over-spec the thrust...they are
rated at N400. There is no maintenance on these except to
keep them clean.
It is
easy to bend one of these if you close the lid improperly.
The proper way to close is to press down on the middle of
the engine room lid.
Best,
BillBeBe 387le
Phare Bleu, Grenada for a few days
On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at
11:58 PM, derickgates@...
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
wrote:

Ben,
I am
glad that you were able to find swift and competent care for
what must be an excruciating injury.  Thank you for sharing
this cautionary tale.  I will certainly take even more care
when operating the engine room hatch.
One of my gas struts had been
stepped on by an over-eager Yanmar technician and I had to
replace it.  I found that after replacement of the strut
that the hatch gave a much more controlled closure than
before it got bent.  I think that these struts may need to
be replaced on some regular schedule.  Does anyone have a
suggestion as to how long they should last?
Derick GatesSM2K#400
BravaCurrently on the hard in Antigua for
hurricane season.