Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Wind generator on top of the mizzen mast

Hi Andrew , thanks for that info
Ian

On 21 Jun 2016, at 11:55, Andrew Lamb andrew.lamb@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi

We put 3 Victron SPP031401200 solar panels on the Emek solar Arc – they have a similar output. Emek could provide these but we got them from a local tradesman who specializes in domestic solar energy installations so this was at a very good price.

Andrew

Ronpische

SM472

Canet en Roussillon

From: "amelyachtowners@..." <amelyachtowners@...> on behalf of "amelyachtowners@..." <amelyachtowners@...>
Date: Tuesday, 21 June 2016 at 09:05
To: "amelyachtowners@..." <amelyachtowners@...>
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Wind generator on top of the mizzen mast

Hi Paul,

                 Can you tell me how many panels you have on your Emek arch and the dimensions of the panels ? If you know the name of the manufacturer and the name of the panel I can get the full specifications from the web.

Thanks,

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302 Preveza

On 20 Jun 2016, at 17:55, osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill and Annsofie,

around 12 Ah a day as an average is not very impressive at all, our 450 from Emek gives on average 80 Ah per day and good days over 100 Ah, the 200 w on the rail gives "only" just over 15Ah per day.I think they more often get in shadow, and it's regulator "slow" them down when batteries reaching 95% or above but the regulator for the 450 W arc continues to give full blast more or less. so compared with that, a wind generator does not give much, I'm surprised about the low figures you mention. At 12 knots a superwind should give ca 24 Ah 24 h, and during 2 h at 20 knots wind should give 15 Ah. But more interesting than the average is what does it give days when solar does not give much such as rainy murky days? And as you Bill I do not like to run the diesel generator when sailing or anchored closed to others.

I have two spare 100 watt flexible light weight solar cells I was planing to put on the canvas bimini, but the canvas man said it's not a good idea, you will get chafe, and water/moister between the canvas and the Solar cell, the chafe I believe could be sorted out with chafe protection, but the moister issue might be more difficult to solve. Does anyone have any experience with light weight solar panels on top of the bimini or spray hood?

An other interesting thing with solar panels, they give surprisingly much even cloudy days. the lowest we got from the 450 w panels have been 28 Ah during the two month we have had the Victron MPPT controller, that was a cloudy and rainy day

Paul on S/Y Kerpa SM#259