Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Alternator pulley

hanspeter baettig

Paul the amps has to go down; because that is an intelligent system since 80 Years . Your batteries are full! Periode! Learn more to google it ; alternator...
smart regulator gives you more input during the time the voltage is under 27.8 volt, them any regulator stops charching your bat. makes sens
Valdo is french
greetings hp Tamango2 ; SM16

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 21.06.2016 um 17:56 schrieb osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

Bill

The Alternator is a Valdo from Turkey (60A 24v), it was on the boat when we bought hear, I assume it's the original one as the 12 v alternator also is a Valdo (60A 12V).
The problem I think is that we have a "dump" regulator and not a smart one, the only smart regulator I have found in Greece are the Sterling one, which I have heard mixed verdict about, so hesitate to purchase one.
I had the alternator overlooked at a local workshop who cleaned it and change the bearing etc, he said it work fine. what does mean?, he could not supply any smart regulator unfortunately. now it  start to charge at 1800 rpm and give good amps at least in the beginning. If I reduce rpm it still charge but Amps goes down rather quick. We have had rather good charge rate on our batteries most of the time as we have the solar panels, but still it should start to charge at least at 1300 rpm.
Paul on S/Y Kerpa SM#259