SM Masthead Wind Transducer-Raymarine ST-60

Jim Anderson

On SM384 I have Raymarine ST-60 sailing instruments. Five years ago my masthead wind speed/direction transducer was damaged and I hired a rigger to replace it. There is a "long" model and a "short" model. The "short" model was used. Despite numerous calibration and bias settings and setup maneuvers per the instructions, done a couple of times per year, it has never consistently worked correctly, especially when sailing a wind angle going upwind. The transducer is mounted on the port side of the top of the mast; it points straight forward. Does anyone know whether Amel specifies the "Long" or the "Short" transducer, and if the transducer is supposed to point straight forward?
Thanks,
Jim
SM384 Sirena Azul
Seattle