From: "'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]"
To: "amelyachtowners@..."
Sent: Wednesday, 22 June 2016 1:51 AM
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bow Thruster and issue with broken blade with a non-branded propeller

Bill Maffei,

There could be several reasons for the propeller rubbing against the tube when bursting to Port, but remember the tolerance is very close, and bursts will cause a lateral force one way or the other...any lateral play, will temporarily relocate the propeller slightly and momentarily.

My guess in order of probability for the lateral play of the propeller:
  1. The pin through the hub could have worn a bigger hole in the hub
  2. The screws could have worked loose, or stretched
  3. The thruster propeller shaft bearings need replacing
And, of course, non-branded propeller may have been a little off in dimension or, flex's when lateral thrust is applied.

Good luck on your propeller replacement...service it every two years.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 1:25 PM, William Maffei <williammaffei@...> wrote:
So Bill, I believe I know what I need to do when I haul out in 2 weeks. Wondering a) if you know of a reason why the prop is rubbing against the thruster shaft while giving port bursts? b) before I contact Maud do you know the cost of a new “Amel” thruster propeller? You did and awesome job on your last service of my thruster! She is dry as a bone and works flawlessly… obviously up until this point but I don’t consider that a bad thing considering the time between services. Also, considering 2 prop blades brought me and my family in safely, without incident while getting tossed around in 20+ knots of breeze. :) Cheers and as always thanks for your help.