Re: Navigation

tonic102004 <aebersoldp@...>

Thank you very much for your feedback Richard.

Since you are an expierence guy, may I ask you for an advise regarding
navigation tool? Do you use a Plotter or a PC based system?

Regards
Paul

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "richard03801"
<richard03801@...> wrote:

Paul, we found that we used our SSB with a Pactor III modem all the
way across the Atlantic
for weather fax, email and evening contact with Southbound II for
detailed weather. We'd
be lost with out it.

Regarding a Sat Phone in the Carib; we successfully used Global Star
there. They have very
good service and good email connections. If you are going beyond to
the Pacific then
Iridium will be a better deal long term. The differance in the
costs for Global Star in the
Carib are much lower and the transfer speed for email faster =
cheeper. Your choice.

Also keep in mind that the Carib. safety net runs every morning
starting around 0800 on
the SSB. lt's a nice way to stay in touch with everyone and anyone.

Good sailing.
Richard
SM 209

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "tonic102004" <aebersoldp@>
wrote:

We are actually in the MED, but are planning to cross the atlantic in
the near future and spend some time in the caribean sea (1-2 years).
On our SM #227 we have no SSB Radio yet and we will buy an Iridium
satellite phone. I am interested to know how the SSB radio is used in
the caribean? Is it worth to install a SSB radio or is VHF enough to
communicate within the caribean? What is the best tool to get
weatherforecasts over there?

All type of advise is wellcome.
Thanks in advance
Paul SM 227