Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Navigation

Richard Piller <richard03801@...>

Paul, we used a Raymarine chart ploter in the Carib
and 24 mile radar when crossing on our Maramu. We now
have a SM #209 and have installed a Furuno 1724 C/NT
chart plotter at both the Nav and Steering station.
In addition we have also added NASA's AIS recieve only
unit to keep aware of larger ships.

We find it better to have information on radar and the
chart plotter available in both areas of the boat. As
an example going into GIB we were able to track ships
on the radar below and keep a view of the harbor at
the steering station. Or split screen it.

Based on our use of C-Map and other software like Max
Sea we prefer the C-Map product based on the quality
of the displayed information and detail.

Best wishes and fair winds.
Richard Piller
Challenge SM 209

--- tonic102004 <aebersoldp@freesurf.ch> wrote:

Thank you very much for your feedback Richard.

Since you are an expierence guy, may I ask you for
an advise regarding
navigation tool? Do you use a Plotter or a PC based
system?

Regards
Paul

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com,
"richard03801"
<richard03801@...> wrote:

Paul, we found that we used our SSB with a Pactor
III modem all the
way across the Atlantic
for weather fax, email and evening contact with
Southbound II for
detailed weather. We'd
be lost with out it.

Regarding a Sat Phone in the Carib; we
successfully used Global Star
there. They have very
good service and good email connections. If you
are going beyond to
the Pacific then
Iridium will be a better deal long term. The
differance in the
costs for Global Star in the
Carib are much lower and the transfer speed for
email faster =
cheeper. Your choice.

Also keep in mind that the Carib. safety net runs
every morning
starting around 0800 on
the SSB. lt's a nice way to stay in touch with
everyone and anyone.

Good sailing.
Richard
SM 209

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com,
"tonic102004" <aebersoldp@>
wrote:

We are actually in the MED, but are planning to
cross the atlantic in
the near future and spend some time in the
caribean sea (1-2 years).
On our SM #227 we have no SSB Radio yet and we
will buy an Iridium
satellite phone. I am interested to know how the
SSB radio is used in
the caribean? Is it worth to install a SSB radio
or is VHF enough to
communicate within the caribean? What is the
best tool to get
weatherforecasts over there?

All type of advise is wellcome.
Thanks in advance