Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Diesel fuel problems and additives

James Alton

Jean-Pierre Germain,

   I am glad to get the warning about the possible fuel issues in the Med.  Having been in Florida a lot I am familiar with the algae growth issue which I control using Bio-bor, an algaecide.  Is there also a bacteria that we have to worry about as well??

  A friend of mine who sells Yanmar started having the injection pumps of relatively new engines seize up right after the change to the low sulphur fuel.  After a lot testing he determined that this was a lubricity issue and found that a product called Stanedyne cured the problem.  I am sure that the 2 cycle motor oil works as well.  The Stanedyne does seem to burn clean, no oily film on the waterline of my boat.

Best,

James

On Jun 28, 2016, at 1:21 PM, Germain Jean-Pierre jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello Aty & Mohammed,

Had a big problem on previous boat… however, we had the tank sucked out, fuel polished, changed all filters then no more issue.

We’ve not had any problem since installing the following upgrade on Eleuthera: a pair of Racor 75900 with a 4 way valve.  (1-2-both-off)

We also use a bacteria killing agent at all times.  Also, for those who use the low sulfur diesel… we do… (no choice in most places) we add 1 liter of 2 stroke oil to each 500 liters.  Makes up some lubricity for the drier low sulfur stuff though it contributes to extra hull cleaning chore aft of the exhausts..

Cheers,

Jean-Pierre Germain
Eleuthera, SM 007

On 28 Jun 2016, at 16:16, mshirloo@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello everyone;

In talking to several different cruisers in the med, it appears that some have had some serious issues with bacterial or other types of growth in their diesel tanks leading to the need for disposal and deep cleaning of the fuel tanks.

I'd like hear others experiences and solutions to the problem in order to avoid the problem.

Thanks in advance

Mohammad and Aty

AMEL 54. #099

B&B Kokomo