Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Diesel fuel problems and additives

karkauai

Hi all,
Back when I first got Kristy, and couldn't get the old Volvo over 2200rpm, one of the things I did was have the tank cleaned and fuel polished. I have used BioBor with every fill-up since then.  I first fill a 2-liter clear container with fuel from the dock andlet it sit for a few hours.  I've never found any fuel that was contaminated.  Anytime the boat sits for more than a month or two, I put a 5-ft length of pvc down to the bottom of the tank and pump 2 liters into my clear bottle.  Again, since cleaning the tank 8 years ago,I've never found any debris or water in my tank.  I used to change the Racors once a year, but they have always been clean.  I haven't changed them in 5 years now and they still work fine.

I've heard of adding oil or transmission fluid to the fuel, but haven't met a mechanic who advocated doing that...so far so good.

Kent
SM 243
Kristy

On Jun 28, 2016, at 2:49 PM, Stephen Davis flyboyscd@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Aty and Mohammed,

I've had dirty fuel on a previous boat, and would rather not have to deal with it again.

While refitting Aloha, we added a fuel boss fuel polishing unit in addition to the dual Racor units as JP described. It consist of an additional Racor unit with a 24volt motor attached. I also added 2 valves which allow fuel to diverted from the primary racors to the fuel boss, and for the output to go into the return line, and back into the top of the tank. The SM is ideal for this system as fuel draws from the very bottom of the tank. It polishes at 60 gph, so a full tank can be polished in under 3 hours. I usually polish if the boat has been sitting for a while, or if I have questions about the quality of the fuel received. It is a fairly simple user installed system, and cost me about $1000 with all the bits and pieces. Seems like cheap insurance to me. Also, I use the same Startron additive Bill recommends, and have found it to be a great product.

Steve Davis
Aloha SM 72
Grenada for the summer

On Jun 28, 2016, at 12:21, Germain Jean-Pierre jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello Aty & Mohammed,

Had a big problem on previous boat… however, we had the tank sucked out, fuel polished, changed all filters then no more issue.

We’ve not had any problem since installing the following upgrade on Eleuthera: a pair of Racor 75900 with a 4 way valve.  (1-2-both-off)

We also use a bacteria killing agent at all times.  Also, for those who use the low sulfur diesel… we do… (no choice in most places) we add 1 liter of 2 stroke oil to each 500 liters.  Makes up some lubricity for the drier low sulfur stuff though it contributes to extra hull cleaning chore aft of the exhausts..

Cheers,

Jean-Pierre Germain
Eleuthera, SM 007

On 28 Jun 2016, at 16:16, mshirloo@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello everyone;

In talking to several different cruisers in the med, it appears that some have had some serious issues with bacterial or other types of growth in their diesel tanks leading to the need for disposal and deep cleaning of the fuel tanks.

I'd like hear others experiences and solutions to the problem in order to avoid the problem.

Thanks in advance

Mohammad and Aty

AMEL 54. #099

B&B Kokomo