Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Diesel fuel problems and additives

Bill Kinney <greatketch@...>

It is basically the clearance between the rocker arm and the valve tappet. If looking under your valve cover is scary for you, have your mechanic show you how to do it.  It’s not hard.  If your mechanic won’t show you, get a new mechanic!

I haven’t needed to do it yet on my SM’s Volvo, but it was a yearly adjustment on my old Westerbeke.  Although I checked it on schedule religiously, I can’t remember ever finding it out of spec.

On Jun 28, 2016, at 23:08, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Am I the only one here who's never heard of a valve lash?  What the heck is it?  Where is it? How is it adjusted?
Thanks
Kent

On Jun 28, 2016, at 4:38 PM, Dave Wallace svairops@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill, great question and I think the answer is “never” since the engine was rebuilt in 2010.  I’ll  put it on the top of my list. The staining isn’t very bad, but still annoying.  Thanks!

Dave Wallace
s/v Air Ops
Maramu #104
Sea of Cortez

On Jun 28, 2016, at 1:28 PM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Dave,

This is not a smart-ass answer/remark.

When is the last time that the valve lash was adjusted on your engine and/or generator?  If the valve lash is not adjusted correctly, you will get a lot of exhaust staining on the hull.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On Jun 28, 2016 1:13 PM, "Dave Wallace svairops@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Jean-Pierre,

Your post has prompted a question from me. What have you found works well for cleaning the exhaust from the hull?  Of course other members please feel free to chime in!

Thanks,

Dave Wallace
s/v Air Ops
Maramu #104
Sea of Cortez, Mx

On Jun 28, 2016, at 9:21 AM, Germain Jean-Pierre jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello Aty & Mohammed,

Had a big problem on previous boat… however, we had the tank sucked out, fuel polished, changed all filters then no more issue.

We’ve not had any problem since installing the following upgrade on Eleuthera: a pair of Racor 75900 with a 4 way valve.  (1-2-both-off)

We also use a bacteria killing agent at all times.  Also, for those who use the low sulfur diesel… we do… (no choice in most places) we add 1 liter of 2 stroke oil to each 500 liters.  Makes up some lubricity for the drier low sulfur stuff though it contributes to extra hull cleaning chore aft of the exhausts..

Cheers,

Jean-Pierre Germain
Eleuthera, SM 007

On 28 Jun 2016, at 16:16, mshirloo@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello everyone;

In talking to several different cruisers in the med, it appears that some have had some serious issues with bacterial or other types of growth in their diesel tanks leading to the need for disposal and deep cleaning of the fuel tanks.

I'd like hear others experiences and solutions to the problem in order to avoid the problem.

Thanks in advance

Mohammad and Aty

AMEL 54. #099

B&B Kokomo