Re: Mizzen Roller Reefing

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Derick;

The Mizzen furler on our 54 has always been fairly stiff. It has progressively gotten worse and I finally decided to tackle the problem.

With Olivier's sound advice and directions, I removed the furler. As I was pulling it out water poured out of the screw holes that hold the furler to the mizzen mast. There was enough water that my guess is that the entire gear box was almost full of water.

I have the furler in hand. I saw from your pictures that you unscrewed the shaft for rotating the furler from the gear box to access the gears. What did you use to unscrew this piece? Once removed did you have good access to clean and lubricate the gears? Is this the correct access for servicing the gears?

 Where is the water getting in from and how do we prevent it from happening again?

Mohammad and Aty
B&B Kokomo
AMel 54 #099