Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Diesel fuel problems and additives

karkauai

Thanks, Bill.  I'll do both the racors and have the lash checked.  I do have quite a bit of smudge on my hull.  Soapy water (Dawn dish soap) gets most of it, but if I wait too long it takes Soft Scrub.  The last time I washed it off, I put Maguire's paste wax on the hull between the exhaust and the aft end.  Very little smudge and holding its shine better than the rest of the hull.
Kent

On Jun 29, 2016, at 6:43 AM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Kent,

The following is my opinion(s) and some facts:

Fact: Valve lash is the adjustment made to the intake and exhaust valves on your diesel engines to ensure that the valves open and close correctly.
Opinion: The valve lash should be adjusted on your enginenand generator about every 1000 - 1200 hours of operation. Incorrect valve adjustment (lash) will cause unburnt fuel to enter the exhaust, causing some smoking and leave a diesel stain on your hull.

Fact: Regarding your Racor filters, the filter material will deteriorate with time.
Opinion: I change Racor filters at 400 combined hours, or 1 year, which ever comes first. I think you should change those 5 year filter elements.

Opinion: When buying fuel, I like to pick a very active fuel dock. I always run the first 20-40 liters through a fuel filter/water separator funnel. If it is clean with no water, then I put the fuel directly into the tank. I have had only one occasion when I told the fuel dock to forget about it, and paid for only the 30 or so liters.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On Jun 28, 2016 11:10 PM, "Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Am I the only one here who's never heard of a valve lash?  What the heck is it?  Where is it? How is it adjusted?
Thanks
Kent

On Jun 28, 2016, at 4:38 PM, Dave Wallace svairops@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill, great question and I think the answer is “never” since the engine was rebuilt in 2010.  I’ll  put it on the top of my list. The staining isn’t very bad, but still annoying.  Thanks!

Dave Wallace
s/v Air Ops
Maramu #104
Sea of Cortez

On Jun 28, 2016, at 1:28 PM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Dave,

This is not a smart-ass answer/remark.

When is the last time that the valve lash was adjusted on your engine and/or generator?  If the valve lash is not adjusted correctly, you will get a lot of exhaust staining on the hull.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On Jun 28, 2016 1:13 PM, "Dave Wallace svairops@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Jean-Pierre,

Your post has prompted a question from me. What have you found works well for cleaning the exhaust from the hull?  Of course other members please feel free to chime in!

Thanks,

Dave Wallace
s/v Air Ops
Maramu #104
Sea of Cortez, Mx

On Jun 28, 2016, at 9:21 AM, Germain Jean-Pierre jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello Aty & Mohammed,

Had a big problem on previous boat… however, we had the tank sucked out, fuel polished, changed all filters then no more issue.

We’ve not had any problem since installing the following upgrade on Eleuthera: a pair of Racor 75900 with a 4 way valve.  (1-2-both-off)

We also use a bacteria killing agent at all times.  Also, for those who use the low sulfur diesel… we do… (no choice in most places) we add 1 liter of 2 stroke oil to each 500 liters.  Makes up some lubricity for the drier low sulfur stuff though it contributes to extra hull cleaning chore aft of the exhausts..

Cheers,

Jean-Pierre Germain
Eleuthera, SM 007

On 28 Jun 2016, at 16:16, mshirloo@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello everyone;

In talking to several different cruisers in the med, it appears that some have had some serious issues with bacterial or other types of growth in their diesel tanks leading to the need for disposal and deep cleaning of the fuel tanks.

I'd like hear others experiences and solutions to the problem in order to avoid the problem.

Thanks in advance

Mohammad and Aty

AMEL 54. #099

B&B Kokomo