Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] A RIB Dinghy Question...

Bill Kinney <greatketch@...>

We have an air floor dinghy that has done well but is approaching the end of its useful life. It fits in the lazarette easily.  I really want to replace it with something I am not forced to store on deck while sailing.  Just a personal preference, as much an esthetic choice as a practical one. We don’t have davits and are not going to install them.

If I was forced go with something that required storing on deck, I'd likely go all the way to a hard dinghy like I used on my last boat.  I loved the ability to row efficiently!  After crossing an ocean at 7 knots, I really don’t need to cross the harbor at 30, but again, that’s a personal preference thing.

The folding RIBs look interesting… one the heavy side, but dinghy wheels and the lifting halyard are my good friends.  Hopefully I can find one to look at and measure folded.

Bill Kinney
SM#160 Harmonie
Highlands, NJ

On Jun 29, 2016, at 15:30, Ian Park parkianj@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

We bought a Highfield Ultra Light 260 this year. Aluminium hull. It fits on the front deck of our Santorin inflated or on the afternoon deck with the bow deflated or completely deflated it sits easily inside the grab rails.
Also we got a 2 stroke 9.8  outboard. It weighs the same as a 6hp 4 stroke which is the max recommended by Highfield  works fine.
I haven't attempted to stow it in the lazarette. My guess is the depth won't accommodate the width.
Ian
'OCEAN HOBO' SN96