Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] A RIB Dinghy Question...

James Alton

Dave,

   Thanks for this information.  I didn’t realize that it would be possible to squeeze in a 10 dinghy, that is definitely something to consider.  The 8” protrusion might not be to bad since I assume this would only be for the offshore passages.

Best,

James  Maramu #220

On Jun 29, 2016, at 9:44 PM, Dave Wallace svairops@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

James,

We have an AquaPro 10’ aluminum bottom dinghy and it fits if deflated on the aft coachroof clear of the mizzen boom track if you put the nose of the dinghy about 8” into the cockpit space. The AquaPro tubes are hypalon. Our dinghy is vintage 2000 and so far has no major problems.  We do keep it covered when stored and it wears dinghy chaps when in use.

Dave Wallace
s/v Air Ops
Maramu#104
Sea of Cortez

On Jun 29, 2016, at 3:30 PM, James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Ian,

   I am looking for a dinghy for my Maramu and the 260 UL sounds interesting.  Would you know if the aft cabin top on the Santorin is longer or shorter than the one on the Maramu?  My boat has a track for the mizzen boom that is a few inches forward of the aft end of the cabin whereas I believe that your track is on the aft deck.

   Did you get the Hypalon or the PVC fabric?  I am wondering how long the powder coated aluminum will last,  i.e. will it outlast the PVC fabric under constant useage?

   The dinghy is amazingly light at 64 lbs..

Best,
James

SV Sueno,  Maramu 46 #220
On Jun 29, 2016, at 4:30 PM, Ian Park parkianj@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

We bought a Highfield Ultra Light 260 this year. Aluminium hull. It fits on the front deck of our Santorin inflated or on the afternoon deck with the bow deflated or completely deflated it sits easily inside the grab rails.
Also we got a 2 stroke 9.8  outboard. It weighs the same as a 6hp 4 stroke which is the max recommended by Highfield  works fine.
I haven't attempted to stow it in the lazarette. My guess is the depth won't accommodate the width.
Ian
'OCEAN HOBO' SN96