Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bow thruster shaft removal

Stephen Davis

Hi Ian,

Sorry you are having all the problems with the bow thruster. I helped a good friend overhaul his bow thruster last winter in St Martin. In his case, it had not been serviced for who knows how long, and the spline was badly rusted. After trying to remove it from the boat all morning with no luck, I put a couple of ring clamps on the tube, a block of wood against the clamps, and banged on it with a heavy hammer. The sharp blows with the hammer worked where steady pressure had not. Of course we had put lots of PB Blaster on it during the morning. It sounds like yours might be worse than this experience, but you might try the hammer.

As a by-product of all the rust, we found the bearing at the bottom of the motor was rusted in place, and completely seized. We removed the motor from the boat, and a machine shop was able to get it out, and put a new bearing in. Once you finally get it out, and grease the spline really well, you will find that it will drop right out next time. Normally, servicing the bow thruster only takes a few hours, and I do it every 2 years when I haul.

I'm in Palm Coast about 15 miles from you until tomorrow afternoon, and if I can be of any help, let me know.

Steve Davis
Aloha SM 72
Grenada for the Summer

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 9:47 PM, francesringley@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks Bill, we are in St.Augustine Florida. I have no idea when the last servicing was done.We only bought the boat two years ago and there are no records. Yes, the locking pin was in. The special tool is broken and i will have to order a new one or repair this one. We have doused the bolt holes and the underside of the collar with penetrating oil. Will attempt your suggestions tomorrow morning. Thank you once again

Ian Townsend
Loca Lola II
SM 153