Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Bow thruster shaft removal

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Ian,

Thanks for letting us know that it worked out. I am especially glad that nothing was broken in the process.

It amazes me that a few owners like the previous owner of your boat let things like this go until they become very serious problems, usually solved by them by selling the boat to someone else. And, this sort of thing is almost never found by a surveyor. There is only one surveyor in the world who would spot this problem in a pre-purchase survey and that is Olivier Beaute gmail.com>.

Bill
BeBe 387
Trinidad

On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 10:13 PM, Stephen Davis flyboyscd@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Glad to hear it all worked out.

Steve

On Jul 1, 2016, at 17:23, francesringley@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks Steve, Bill, Mark and James (did I miss anyone? !).

Last night we doused the underside of the collar and bolt holes with PB Blaster and WD40. This morning the marina machine shop fixed the the tool ($45). So we used the tools and occasional rubber hammer banging and pulling from below. Took about 2 hours this morning in addition to 5 hours yesterday. Then it popped our . Fortunately no water was in the oil. We cleaned and sanded the top of the shaft and the inside of the collar. Then put tons of grease on both. It's back in and between the travelift and the dock, it had quite a workout. The river was running swiftly.

Thanks once again for all your sage advice. Needless to say, I never want to go through that again. Service every 2 years on my watch.

Also thanks Steve fir the recommendation of St. Augustine Marine Center. They were great.

Ian Townsend
Loca Lola II
SM153