Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] mast pole for genoa

Bill Kinney <greatketch@...>

Interesting…  That is not in the version of the SM 2K manual I have.  No date or version number I can find to compare.

The thinking might be that in theory the loads of the two poles cancel each other out. In theory.   But watching the twin headsails in practice, especially when sailing in a significant seaway, the loads are cyclical and the sheets load up alternately. The heavier load shifts from one side to the other.  I am not at all convinced that in practice the load cancelling would be real except in flat water.

On Jul 6, 2016, at 23:26, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Bill.
Sorry, it's in the Amel Super Maramu 2000 Users' Guide, not the Owners' Manual.  I thought I had downloaded it from the Files section, but can't find it there now.
In the Users'Guide it is on page 1-29 in the first paragraph of the section on the "Amel Twin Pole System".  I'll quote it for you:
"When the Amel twin pole system is used, pole and jockey pole must imperatively be used simultaneously on each side of the boat.  Don't use the pole and jockey pole on a single side."

There is no further elaboration as to what problems might arise from using a single pole.  Others and I have used a single pole extensively on downwind and broad reach points of sail without apparent ill effects.  I can only guess that the specs on the mast and rigging may not support this practice.  I don't know of any actual failures.
Please chime in here if anyone knows more on this subject.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

On Jul 6, 2016, at 9:00 PM, Bill Kinney greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Kent,

I have a version of the SM manual, and can not find such a comment. Can you steer me to a page number or quote?

Bill Kinney
SM #160 Harmonie
Highlands, NJ

On Jul 6, 2016, at 16:26, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I know that many of us sail wing on wing with the genoa on a pole and the main. However, keep in mind that the Amel Super Maramu owners manual says not to do this. It instructs us to only use both poles together, not only one.  Perhaps Olivier can shed some light on this for us.

Kent
SM243
Kristy

On Jul 6, 2016, at 11:16 AM, c.macdonald@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks Bill, very good info. I will think it over and keep what yo say in mind.
Charles