Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] mast pole for genoa

karkauai

Bon Jour, Olivier, can you comment?
Merci,
Kent

On Jul 7, 2016, at 7:19 AM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Kent and Bill,

The Super Maramu 2000 user manual that came with #387 does not have that warning and its sections and pages are numbered differently. The twin pole system is discussed from page 40 to page 50 in 1.3.4 "Amel rig and sail furling systems" part d) "AMEL twin pole system"

I have sailed thousands of miles with the genoa poled to either port or starboard, and I have has limited success with wing on wing because the main will not function well at 150-160 without touching shrouds. I have had great success with the fore ballooner and the genoa with the wind at 160-180. When thenwind is at 150-160, I sail with the genoa poled out.

I hope this helps.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On Jul 6, 2016 11:26 PM, "Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Bill.
Sorry, it's in the Amel Super Maramu 2000 Users' Guide, not the Owners' Manual.  I thought I had downloaded it from the Files section, but can't find it there now.
In the Users'Guide it is on page 1-29 in the first paragraph of the section on the "Amel Twin Pole System".  I'll quote it for you:
"When the Amel twin pole system is used, pole and jockey pole must imperatively be used simultaneously on each side of the boat.  Don't use the pole and jockey pole on a single side."

There is no further elaboration as to what problems might arise from using a single pole.  Others and I have used a single pole extensively on downwind and broad reach points of sail without apparent ill effects.  I can only guess that the specs on the mast and rigging may not sup port this practice.  I don't know of any actual failures.
Please chime in here if anyone knows more on this subject.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

On Jul 6, 2016, at 9:00 PM, Bill Kinney greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Kent,

I have a version of the SM manual, and can not find such a comment. Can you steer me to a page number or quote?

Bill Kinney
SM #160 Harmonie
Highlands, NJ

On Jul 6, 2016, at 16:26, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I know that many of us sail wing on wing with the genoa on a pole and the main. However, keep in mind that the Amel Super Maramu owners manual says not to do this. It instructs us to only use both poles together, not only one.  Perhaps Olivier can shed some light on this for us.

Kent
SM243
Kristy

On Jul 6, 2016, at 11:16 AM, c .macdonald@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks Bill, very good info. I will think it over and keep what yo say in mind.
Charles