Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Fuel Polishing system

Colin - ex SV Island Pearl

Regarding the original question on installing a fuel polishing system we purchased a Reverso fuel polishing system in Fort Lauderdale and will be fitting it soon. We placed it on the rear engine wall behind the motor and above the dual Racor filters on the Super Maramu. Seems to fit well there although it is a large unit. Only modification required was to replace a section of the Onan's exhaust pipe with a slightly longer piece.

Cannot comment on how good it is as we have yet to plumb it into the fuel system however it was rated well on Active Captain and it comes with a timer, vaccuum guage etc as a complete easy to install kit. This was possibly an unnecessary extra item as we already have the dual Racor filters with quick change over switch but got this for extra peace of mind given our intended cruise through Indonesia and Indian ocean islands next year.

Colin & Lauren Streeter
Island Pearl II, Amel 53 # 332
Brisbane

On Sun, Jul 10, 2016 at 10:06 PM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I'll add a things that I am sure everyone does.

  1. If at all possible, use a busy fuel dock. The busier, the better. When using a busy fuel dock, filter the first 20-40 liters...if all is clear with no water, fill freely.
  2. Also, I am sure that we all use some sort of fuel treatment. Eric's suggestion is good, or the enzyme-type treatment from StarBrite, or both.
  3. Lastly, if your boat sits up for months at a time, open the inspection ports on the tank and do two things: Using a pump, extract at least a liter from the lowest point that you can reach, preferably just off the bottom and examine for water. If you get some water, repeat until you no longer get water. Then  tie a white cloth to the end of a broomstick and wipe the cloth against the side and bottom of the tank to examine how much crud is against the sides. A lot of crud will mean that you probably need the tank and fuel professionally cleaned.
Bill
BeBe 387
Trinidad

On Sun, Jul 10, 2016 at 11:03 AM, Jean-Pierre Germain jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello both of you,

FWIW, when planning the improvements needed for trouble free RTW, I considered options including nuclear purification:-)

Eventually I avoided the over engineered system by choosing a pair of Racor 75900 with 4 way valve. Never had more than a trace of dirt. The fuel gets effectively polished both on the feed and return lines. I don't foresee any big problem in the future.

Any suspected fuel would be passed through on fill up. Used this effectively in the past

Jean-Pierre Germain
Eleuthera SM007

On 10 Jul 2016, at 10:30, rossidesigngroup@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Regarding portable filters you would use at the fuel dock, this is a cut and past from a previous post we made--"We've had good luck with the Mr. Funnel filter, we use the largest one with 2 filters in the bowl.  The flow rate is good and it allows you to reasonably fill your Amel tank at the fuel dock at 12 gpm.  The Mr. Funnel, West Marine, and Racor RFF are the same and all made by Shurhold.  You can test it periodically by filling about 1/4 full with water and confirming that none passes, with more water, say 1/2 there is enough pressure to push the water through.  Can also use it for a contaminated outboard tank but take precautions with gasoline!  Racor says it filters down to 50 microns  http://www.parker.com/literature/Racor/Racor_Fuel_Filtration_-_Fuel_Filter_Funnels_-_7568.pdf  "  The fact that Racor is marketing a version is a good endorsement I think.

Regarding a fuel polishing system.  I would urge you to take a close look at "fuel purifiers"..We used an RCI fuel purifier for about 8 years on our Santorin and we drained a significant amount of gunk out before if got to our Racors.  We are presently using a similar MLS which we purchased in the Netherlands.  Professional fuel polishers tend to use these kinds of units with their portable polishers and they are also popular on earth movers, buses, trucks, etc.There are not filters to drain and they don't clog..  They say they remove 99% of the water and particulates and you just drain it out into a cup and discard.   I would just put it inline ahead of the Racors and would not bother with a circulation pump or anything else.  As noted in this discussion, there is considerably more diesel fuel pumped through the fuel system than is used by the engine.  Excess fuel is frequently used to cool the injectors.  Universal Fuel Purifiers | RCI Technologies

  If you ever wonder how fuel polishers do their work without going through scores of filters the answer is that they use fuel purifiers. Portable Fuel Polishing Units | RCI Technologies

 I used to provide a website for a diesel shop in Maryland and they gave me a deluxe on-board polisher for my Santorin which you can read about in the link that follows--but I think the design was over-kill and on my Super Maramu I use just an initial inline fuel purifier (rated for 300 hp diesels, I think) Marine Diesel -Advanced Fuel Filtering and Conditioning Onboard Fuel Polisher
Marine Diesel -Advanced Fuel Filtering and Conditioning ...
Diesel Center--Marine Diesel Engine and Maintenance, Repair, Repowering. Located near Annapolis, serving the Chesapeake. Specializing in Diesel Repa...
Preview by Yahoo

  and
Marine Diesel Center-Advanced Fuel Filtering and Conditioning On Board Fuel Polisher
Marine Diesel Center-Advanced Fuel Filtering an...
Diesel Center--Marine Diesel Engine and Maintenance, Repair, Repowering. Located near Annapolis, serving the Chesapeake. Specializing in Diesel Repa...
Preview by Yahoo

Again that system was real overkill and I don't happen to believe in the Algae-X they threw in....

Regarding the 2/10/30 micron, IMHO the most important thing is to see that your suction pressure remains low on your Racor.  If you don't have one you should install a gauge.  In a cumulative 11 years of using fuel purifiers I don't think I ever really needed to change a Racor filter.  They were always clean when I removed them on a scheduled basis and the suction pressure never built up.

Regarding additives I have always been a fan of Stanadyne Stanadyne Additives
Stanadyne Additives
The heart of your engine is its fuel injection equipment and the major enemy of this equipment is poor quality fuel.
Preview by Yahoo

  They are in the diesel pump and injector manufacturing business and it is what they market  Stanadyne

Stanadyne
Stanadyne is a global leader in fuel injection system technology for diesel and gasoline engines, enabling greater efficiency, engine power and performance.
Preview by Yahoo

Bob, KAIMI #429, Marmaris, Türkiye

--
Colin Streeter