Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Fuel Polishing system

Colin - ex SV Island Pearl

Much appreciated Ian
I will take your advice on that.think I recently saw an article where the one sold my West Marine came out better than the Baja.That is possibly the one you are referring to.
Colin Streeter
Island Pearl II, Amel 53 #332
Brisbane

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 10:33 PM, Ian & Judy ianjudyjenkins@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Colin,

I suggest that instead of a Baja filter you look out for one of the newer ( 8 years old) filters that consist of a black plastic , flat bottomed funnel with a vertical filter tube in the centre. We used one in South America to great effect. I have seen comparison tests with the Baja and the Baja came a poor second, as well as needing a lot of cleaning each time you use it.

I don't have the name of the black filter but it is widely available in chandlers ( I think it is made in Canada)

I have demonstrated it to friends by filling it with water--not a drop goes through the filter.  It certainly saved us on several occasions--once, 15% of the "diesel" we bought was water and crud.

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Preveza

From: amelyachtowners@... <amelyachtowners@...> on behalf of Colin Streeter colin.d.streeter@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: 11 July 2016 11:06:43
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Fuel Polishing system

Mark
Thanks Mark. Does that mean that you plumbed / welded a 2nd return entrance pipe back into the fuel tank, ie. separate from the one that pushes the engine and generator excess fuel back into the tank?
Colin Streeter
Island Pearl II, Amel53 #332
Brisbane

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 8:59 PM, Mark Pitt mark_pitt@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Colin,

My fuel polisher has its own fuel return.

Mark Pitt
S/V Sabbatical III, ASM hull 419, Sardinia

On Jul 10, 2016, at 4:10 PM, Colin Streeter colin.d.streeter@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks Mark
Glad to hear it works so well and I will certainly follow your great idea about including a T piece for re-fuelling from jerry cans. What a brillinant idea as I am currently on the look out for a Baja Fuel filter too.

One question, did you simply plumb the return fuel flow into the normal engine return flow valve at the top and aft cabin end of the SM's fuel tank? Being an amateur at this I was worried that the speed of the pump may force too much fuel through that small inlet?

Colin Streeter
Island Pearl II, Amel 53 #332
Brisbane

On Sun, Jul 10, 2016 at 11:54 PM, Mark Pitt mark_pitt@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I installed this Reverso fuel polisher on Sabbatical III ten years ago and it was one of the best additions that I could have made.  I put a tee on the inlet hose to the Reverso and attached about 3 meters so fuel hose on the other side of the tee. When I have needed to jerry can fuel in the South Pacific or Indonesia,I just put the hose in the jerry cans lined up on the cockpit seat and had the Reverso suck the fuel through the large 10 micro Racor filter.  When I used a fuel dock that was suspect, such as in Vanuatu,  I put the fuel nozzle and my fuel hose for the fuel polisher in a single Jerry can and just kept fuel coming into the Jerry can at the same rate the Reverso polished pulled it out. It is rated at 550 liters for hours.  Faster than a Baja filter.

I use the fuel polisher for a few hours every week and my tank is totally clean.  I use 10 micron filters in the AMEL-installed dual Racor primary system since it would make sense to polish fuel at 10 micron and filter it at 30 microns just before it is burned.

Mark Pitt
Sabbatical III, ASM hull 419
Sardinia

On Jul 10, 2016, at 3:38 PM, Colin Streeter colin.d.streeter@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Regarding the original question on installing a fuel polishing system we purchased a Reverso fuel polishing system in Fort Lauderdale and will be fitting it soon. We placed it on the rear engine wall behind the motor and above the dual Racor filters on the Super Maramu. Seems to fit well there although it is a large unit. Only modification required was to replace a section of the Onan's exhaust pipe with a slightly longer piece.

Cannot comment on how good it is as we have yet to plumb it into the fuel system however it was rated well on Active Captain and it comes with a timer, vaccuum guage etc as a complete easy to install kit. This was possibly an unnecessary extra item as we already have the dual Racor filters with quick change over switch but got this for extra peace of mind given our intended cruise through Indonesia and Indian ocean islands next year.

Colin & Lauren Streeter
Island Pearl II, Amel 53 # 332
Brisbane

On Sun, Jul 10, 2016 at 10:06 PM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I'll add a things that I am sure everyone does.

1. If at all possible, use a busy fuel dock. The busier, the better. When using a busy fuel dock, filter the first 20-40 liters...if all is clear with no water, fill freely.
  2. Also, I am sure that we all use some sort of fuel treatment. Eric's suggestion is good, or the enzyme-type treatment from StarBrite, or both. 
  3. Lastly, if your boat sits up for months at a time, open the inspection ports on the tank and do two things: Using a pump, extract at least a liter from the lowest point that you can reach, preferably just off the bottom and examine for water. If you get some water, repeat until you no longer get water. Then  tie a white cloth to the end of a broomstick and wipe the cloth against the side and bottom of the tank to examine how much crud is against the sides. A lot of crud will mean that you probably need the tank and fuel professionally cleaned.
Bill
BeBe 387
Trinidad

On Sun, Jul 10, 2016 at 11:03 AM, Jean-Pierre Germain jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello both of you,

FWIW, when planning the improvements needed for trouble free RTW, I considered options including nuclear purification:-)

Eventually I avoided the over engineered system by choosing a pair of Racor 75900 with 4 way valve. Never had more than a trace of dirt. The fuel gets effectively polished both on the feed and return lines. I don't foresee any big problem in the future. 

Any suspected fuel would be passed through on fill up. Used this effectively in the past

Jean-Pierre Germain
Eleuthera SM007

On 10 Jul 2016, at 10:30, rossidesigngroup@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Regarding portable filters you would use at the fuel dock, this is a cut and past from a previous post we made--"We've had good luck with the Mr. Funnel filter, we use the largest one with 2 filters in the bowl.  The flow rate is good and it allows you to reasonably fill your Amel tank at the fuel dock at 12 gpm.  The Mr. Funnel, West Marine, and Racor RFF are the same and all made by Shurhold.  You can test it periodically by filling about 1/4 full with water and confirming that none passes, with more water, say 1/2 there is enough pressure to push the water through.  Can also use it for a contaminated outboard tank but take precautions with gasoline!  Racor says it filters down to 50 microns  http://www.parker.com/literature/Racor/Racor_Fuel_Filtration_-_Fuel_Filter_Funnels_-_7568.pdf  "  The fact that Racor is marketing a version is a good endorsement I think. 

Regarding a fuel polishing system.  I would urge you to take a close look at "fuel purifiers"..We used an RCI fuel purifier for about 8 years on our Santorin and we drained a significant amount of gunk out before if got to our Racors.  We are presently using a similar MLS which we purchased in the Netherlands.  Professional fuel polishers tend to use these kinds of units with their portable polishers and they are also popular on earth movers, buses, trucks, etc.There are not filters to drain and they don't clog..  They say they remove 99% of the water and particulates and you just drain it out into a cup and discard.   I would just put it inline ahead of the Racors and would not bother with a circulation pump or anything else.  As noted in this discussion, there is considerably more diesel fuel pumped through the fuel system than is used by the engine.  Excess fuel is frequently used to cool the injectors.  Universal Fuel Purifiers | RCI Technologies

If you ever wonder how fuel polishers do their work without going through scores of filters the answer is that they use fuel purifiers. Portable Fuel Polishing Units | RCI Technologies

I used to provide a website for a diesel shop in Maryland and they gave me a deluxe on-board polisher for my Santorin which you can read about in the link that follows--but I think the design was over-kill and on my Super Maramu I use just an initial inline fuel purifier (rated for 300 hp diesels, I think) Marine Diesel -Advanced Fuel Filtering and Conditioning Onboard Fuel Polisher
Marine Diesel -Advanced Fuel Filtering and Conditioning ...
Diesel Center--Marine Diesel Engine and Maintenance, Repair, Repowering. Located near Annapolis, serving the Chesapeake. Specializing in Diesel Repa...
Preview by Yahoo

and  
Marine Diesel Center-Advanced Fuel Filtering and Conditioning On Board Fuel Polisher
Marine Diesel Center-Advanced Fuel Filtering an...
Diesel Center--Marine Diesel Engine and Maintenance, Repair, Repowering. Located near Annapolis, serving the Chesapeake. Specializing in Diesel Repa...
Preview by Yahoo

Again that system was real overkill and I don't happen to believe in the Algae-X they threw in.... 

Regarding the 2/10/30 micron, IMHO the most important thing is to see that your suction pressure remains low on your Racor.  If you don't have one you should install a gauge.  In a cumulative 11 years of using fuel purifiers I don't think I ever really needed to change a Racor filter.  They were always clean when I removed them on a scheduled basis and the suction pressure never built up.

Regarding additives I have always been a fan of Stanadyne Stanadyne Additives
Stanadyne Additives
The heart of your engine is its fuel injection equipment and the major enemy of this equipment is poor quality fuel.
Preview by Yahoo

They are in the diesel pump and injector manufacturing business and it is what they market  Stanadyne

Stanadyne
Stanadyne is a global leader in fuel injection system technology for diesel and gasoline engines, enabling greater efficiency, engine power and performance.
Preview by Yahoo

Bob, KAIMI #429, Marmaris, Türkiye

--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445

--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445

--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445

--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.