BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On Jul 11, 2016 8:42 AM, "Ian & Judy ianjudyjenkins@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill, I can't remember the cost--I think the whole thing was about 900 euros. We were ashore anyway

Ian

From: amelyachtowners@... <amelyachtowners@...> on behalf of 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: 11 July 2016 12:37:58
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] B&G Sonic Speed

Ian,

How much did it cost you?

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On Jul 11, 2016 8:24 AM, "Ian & Judy ianjudyjenkins@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

 I agree with everything you write about B&G speed sensors, except the costs of withdrawing and replacing the sensors--assuming that you can get hold of new ones.

We changed our sensors when they failed after 9 years. Obviously, the boat has to be out of the water, but we didn't have to cut them out. Instead:

Detach the inboard end of the wire leading to each sensor  and make sure that it is free to run down the channel to the sensor

Drill a short hole in the exposed end of the sensor and insert a screw

Pull on the screw with pliers . This will withdraw the sensor ( a black tube about 6 inches ( 15 cm ) long ) from the hull

Pull out until a short piece of the wire to the back of the sensor is exposed.

Cut this wire and use it as the messenger line to pull in the wire on the new sensor

The new sensor will prove a snug fit into the cavity in the hull. We put a dab of sealant on it.

Connect the inboard end of the wire to the B&G box and off you go.

 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302 ,Preveza