Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Rudder leaky

Martin Knauff <sy.stenella@...>

In my unit there is no L- plate, but a small wire through a hole in the side of the nut going TO an steel eye beside. But the wire is rüstend away ;-)
Tomorrow I get a key fitting for the the mother. Then we try it. Thanks a lot up TO here. If the Unit is dry, we wait until wintertime and look after the rudder, if it is out of the water. Have a good time :-)

Gesendet von Yahoo Mail für iPhone

Am Mittwoch, Juli 20, 2016, 5:51 PM schrieb derickgates@... [amelyachtowners] :

Martin,

The nylon packing nut goes clockwise to tighten, as viewed from above.  There is an L plate held in place by two screws that keeps the nut from turning by itself.  Remove the L plate and tighten the nut by 1/6 of a turn and see if that stops the leak. It should not take much adjusting.

If the nut will not further turn, it may be time to remove the rudder quadrant, remove the nut, pick out the packing and replace it.  Amel SAV have an exact replacement for the packing, and can even supply a new nylon nut if you need it.

I believe that this packing replacement is best done out of the water (someone speak up if it can be done in the water).  However the nut tightening can be done in the water.

Derick Gates
SM2K#400
On the hard in Antigua