Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] A RIB Dinghy Question...

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Hi Bill,

If you place the dinghy in the lazarette,  you don’t carry a sea drogue?  We have a Jordan and to keep it available means having it atop the “paraphernalia” residing in this place…

Regarding Yamaha 2 ST’s… I was lucky to find a 3 year old new 15HP in the UK.  (Man bought it, stored it in his garage and died 3 days later… was held up in the succession.  Had never run!) I purchased the RIB following its purchase and had to go with a 9.5UL from AB to get the 15 HP rating.  Boat is French flagged and is A Cat… meaning everything has to be “kosher”.

I will you my 15 HP if I precede you to Davey Jones locker… :-)

Cheers from sweltering Majorca.

Jean-Pierre Germain
SY Eleuthera, SM007.

On 21 Jul 2016, at 05:24, Bill Kinney greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I wanted to update people on what we found following up on our original question for a RIB dinghy that would fit in the lazzerette.

Mark from Creampuff suggested we look into folding RIBs.  That turned out to be the perfect suggestion (Thanks Mark!  If we cross paths that earned you a free beer!)  He was right about there being very few options on the market in the USA, but we only needed one—which we found.

West Marine has a spotty (at best) reputation for dinghy construction, so it was with some trepidation that we traveled a long distance to the nearest store that had their 10.6 folding RIB in stock. I really liked the design.  The construction quality was reasonable, although some of the details are spotty.  But the price was very good, especially because they had a previous model year in stock.

Things I like:
  • The price.  By the time Karen got finished negotiating we paid about $1400.
  • It fits in the lazzerette!  It’s a tight fit, but it fits, with the engine in there too!  I never wanted to be that boat that pulls into the harbor and based on the deck clutter everybody thinks “look at the cruisers!”.  Getting the dinghy stowed below decks for passages is a very big plus for me.
  • If you don’t want to put it in the lazzerette, fold it up, put it in its bag, and tie it down between the rails on the aft deck.  Out of the sun and out of the way.
  • It has great performance.  It is rated for an 8HP engine.  We have a venerable 8HP 2 stroke Yamaha that puts it up on plane with both of us onboard, no problem. It is truly a ridged RIB when inflated to full pressure. (As an aside, that 9 year old Yamaha will have to be torn from my cold dead hands! It is an awesome machine.)

Things I don’t like:
  • It’s made of PVC fabric. Granted, it is the “good German PVC” but I do not expect it to last as long as a Hypalon dinghy. I’ll be making chaps to keep the sun off.  But given the price, I can’t complain too much.
  • Some of the details of manufacture were weak.  The inflation pump didn’t work (West Marine replaced it no questions asked).  Some glue stains were where they shouldn’t have been.  Little things like that.

Time will tell if it was a good idea, but we like it so far!

Bill Kinney
SM #160, Harmonie
Highlands, NJ
“Ships and men rot in port."

On Jun 29, 2016, at 12:52, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Try doing a Google search for “Folding RIB”. This will give you some options but very few in the USA.

With best regards,

Mark

Super Maramu 2000

Hull #275

www.creampuff.us

Currently cruising:  Tampa Bay for hurricane season