From: Bill Kinney greatketch@... [amelyachtowners]
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Wed, Jul 20, 2016 7:36 pm
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Original instruments

Pat,

Yes, B&G isn’t an independent operation any more.  They made great products, and had a great reputation, but were not big enough to keep up with the speed of changes in the field.   Navico today uses the B&G brand to position their products into the sailboat market—especially the racers.  That said, I have been happy with the Navico products, and with their customer support on the only time I needed to use it.

I have used B&G autopilots and radar.  Actually, the radar I used was a Simrad, but the only difference is the decal on the outside.  I really liked the 3G radar.  It was absolutely amazing on very close range, picking my way into a crowded anchorage on a moonless night wasn’t at all a problem. It was very good at distance targets.  Not the best as a weather radar, but did well enough as a squall detector for us in the Pacific.

I had no issue with the B&G autopilot computer after about 10,000 active sea miles.  I very much liked the options for VMG optimization and the ability to steer to either true or apparent wind.  Also, you can use it as in a “power steering mode” bypassing the cables if something should go wrong with your manual steering system.  Way easier than an emergency tiller!

All modern autopilots that I know of use the same control system to the drive train.  A “clutch” relay to activate the drive, and then reversing voltage to drive the motor or pump and position the rudder.  You can match the B&G computer to any manufacturer’s drive that you like.  On my old boat I used a hydraulic unit made by Octopus. Worked well, but the pump was a bit noisy.

As far as I know, Navico makes their own wind instruments, but all the speed and depth transducers come from Airmar, who also supplies Furuno, Garmin, and Raymarine with the exact same units, just with different connectors. Navico also outsources their autopilot drive units.

I think your installer is giving you a story about Furuno being harder to install.  With NMEA2000 networking everybody is pretty much interconnected the same way.  If the Furuno system he’s talking about does NOT use NMEA2000, I wouldn’t have it.  Too proprietary.

Bill Kinney
SM #160, Harmonie
Highlands, NJ
“Ships and men rot in port."

On Jul 20, 2016, at 18:13, Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill, I just exchanged emails with my mechanic and explained that I had reservations about B&G ,because they are not really B&G any longer. He told me no one is installing Furuno due to cost and complexity , and has a long list of customers with B&G installs. I have had good luck with Furuno and they have great tech support . Did you install B&G autopilot and radar as well ? Maybe theres not a dimes worth of difference between any of the manufacturers , but I don't know and have to decide by Monday who to go with, so appreciate your feedback.

Thanks much,
Pat SM#123