Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] A RIB Dinghy Question...

Mark Erdos

Hi Bill K,

Keep the beer on ice for me!!! Although, I must say I would never knowingly endorse West Marine or as I refer to them: Worst Marine.

We just purchased a new Highfield CL310. We looked long and hard at the folding RIBs but other than WM couldn’t find a distributor in the USA. I couldn’t bring myself to buy a WM boat. But, I hope it works out for you. However, if we could have found a distributor, the FRIB would have been our first choice. We were writing to a FRIB distributor in the UK and toiled with the idea of shipping to the USA but in the end decided against it. I wouldn’t worry about PVC. It has come a long way in UV protection in the last few years. Many PVC dinghy manufactures warranty their models for the same time as Hypalon. And besides, the PVC is so much less expensive. The decision to replace the worn out PVC dinghy is much easier to make.

We have the same 8HP 2 stroke Yamaha as you. Awesome engine! Easy to lift and plenty of power.

We added an arch with davits for the solar panel this year. We will lift the dink onto the davits when on the hook (which is most of the time). We will sail with it lashed to the aft cabin top. When in a marina, it will be stowed upside-down on the foredeck. Yes, we are starting to look like cruisers J

With best regards,

Mark

Super Maramu 2000

Hull #275

www.creampuff.us

Currently cruising:  Tampa Bay for hurricane season