Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Windlass power disconnect?

karkauai

Isn't there a separate breaker in the forward port locker in the Vee berth?
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

On Aug 2, 2016, at 11:50 AM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Is there a way to remove electrical power from the anchor windlass on an SM without also disconnecting the jib furler?

I always considered it good seamanship to depower a windlass when underway to avoid any chance of accidental activation.  I know of at least one boat who had a switch short circuit after taking a wave over the bow in rough weather, and the running windlass did all kinds of damage before they could get it shut down.

I know that loosening the clutch on the gypsy will avoid the most serious issues, but still an electrical disconnect just seems like a good idea.

Anybody have a switch fail closed on the anchor windlass system?  If so, how did you stop it?

Bill Kinney

SM #160, Harmonie

Highlands, NJ

“Ships and men rot in port."