Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Windlass power disconnect?

Bill Kinney <greatketch@...>

On my boat the toggle switch turns off both the furler and the windlass. Even though it is labeled "Guindeau".  Maybe it was wired the day before the factory's summer vacation?

On Aug 3, 2016, at 00:08, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

There is a toggle switch in the forward cabin, port cabinet which has the circuit breaker and a toggle switch to turn off the windlass.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 11:50 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Windlass power disconnect?

Is there a way to remove electrical power from the anchor windlass on an SM without also disconnecting the jib furler?

I always considered it good seamanship to depower a windlass when underway to avoid any chance of accidental activation.  I know of at least one boat who had a switch short circuit after taking a wave over the bow in rough weather, and the running windlass did all kinds of damage before they could get it shut down.

I know that loosening the clutch on the gypsy will avoid the most serious issues, but still an electrical disconnect just seems like a good idea.

Anybody have a switch fail closed on the anchor windlass system?  If so, how did you stop it?

Bill Kinney

SM #160, Harmonie

Highlands, NJ

“Ships and men rot in port."