Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Upgrading all electronics

Bill Kinney <greatketch@...>

Enio,

It sounds like your galvanic isolator is connected correctly. In that case it will not cause nor will it fix this problem.

Not that long ago, Olivier posted an excellent summary of how battery chargers need to be connected, and how they should NOT be connected.  A search of the forum will find that and I think it will be very helpful for you.

Pay attention to Kent’s warnings, You do not want to duplicate his experience with electrolic corrosion!

I suspect the issue is the battery charger’s internal wiring.  If you follow the testing in Olivier’s posting that will tell you.

Bill

On Aug 7, 2016, at 06:54, rossienio@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thank you Bill, now  I'm  tryng  to give you more informations.
I think it depends of my boat because the phenomenon  has been  detected  in 2 different marinas.
Measuring in AC the Volts are 3,10V with  the Battteriy Charger connected and 0.30V with  the Battery C.. off, In DC the  volts are 2.3V with B. C.  connected and 0.8V disconnected.
I think  the guilty is the Battery .C. because, if I exclude it, the phenomenon ends.
The Ground isolator is connected between shore power and general input switch of AC in the boat.

It's mandatory to connect the ground nipple of the carcass of the Battery Charger to the groung system of the boat? The engeneer who installled the new Batteruy Charger  didn't make  that connection, must I do it?

Thanks again for your advices. Good winds.  Enio