Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Darn Batteries - Thank you

roger_h_banks <roger.banks@...>

Hi Eric

I went to check this on my boat and found I couldn't understand which AC setting you
mean to test. Can you please clarify?

Roger, Mango 28

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Eric Lindholm <etlindholm@...> wrote:

There is another item you may want to check and that is AC ripple from your charger.
There was an article in a recent Cruising World on how AC ripple can cause your batteries
to discharge even when the charger is going full bore. The article said to test for this with
a multimeter on the AC setting, putting the black probe on the negative, the red on the
positive, and if it shows more that .2 VAC it will cause to batteries to discharge while
cooking them at the same time. Cruising World March 2007 page 98.

Eric "Maramu" 105

agav8ter <agav8ter@...> wrote:
Thank you to all who have answered. I called and spoke to the Link
10 / Mastervolt people, they confirm that the the Mastervolt is not a
regulator.

Gary, I now have four of the eight batteries that must be replaced. I
sopke with Simon at Rolls Battery, and he advised me that my batteries
are "sulfated" because I am not charging them to a high enough voltage
(28.8v). He further stated that it is sensless to replace the
batteries until the Dolphin Charger can put out the 28.8V as the new
batteries will just sulfate again. He felt stong enough about this
that he said he would not advise spending the money on Rolls batteries
as they absolutly need the 28.8V. I have done most of the checking and
testing you recommended, and I still have the same result, only 27.3
volts from the charger.

Gary, do you use Skype??? Can I Skype you?

Thanks again, Tony