Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Water in engine

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

I think that all of the advice given is good...

BUT, MAKE SURE you identify/correct why/how you got water in the engine...muffler, exhaust hose, elbow, anti-siphon.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 7:18 AM, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Tom,

Water is not compressible so cranking the engine with water in it will cause the cylinder rings to break or bend a connecting rod. You need to be SURE the water is out BEFORE cranking.

The good news is this is not as bad as it seems unless the water has been there for a while.

If you have a decompression lever, you can open it and hand crank the engine until the water is out.

If no decompression lever:

METHOD 1: Remove all the injectors and blow water out of the injector holes. Turn the engine over in small increments and try to push water past the cylinder heads. Do not force the issue. Use the starter motor and flick it on and off. Or, better still turn the crank shaft with a wrench. Do not rush or force things. This works well for older engines that have some wear as water will pass by the cylinder rings.

METHOD 2: Another method (and I think is a safer method) is to remove the valve cover and place coins under the valves to keep them open (an American quarter is a good size), The coins need to be placed between the rocker arms and the valve stems. The valves open inward to the cylinders. On some engines the distance between the valves and the cylinder head is very small so you must turn the engine by hand to ensure you are not blocking a cylinder cycle with the valve open. If the engine locks up, take the coins out and try again with a thinner coin. Once you have turned the engine 3 or 4 times (complete rotations) you should be able to safely start the engine. While turning the engine water is removed by forcing it out the valves. You can also check each cylinder through the injector holes with the injectors removed. Expect white smoke when first starting as this is small amounts of excess water.

Be sure to check for water in the oil regularly for the first 24 hour of operation.

Hope this helps.

With best regards,

Mark

Super Maramu 2000

Hull #275

www.creampuff.us

Currently cruising:  Tampa Bay for hurricane season

From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com [mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Friday, August 12, 2016 5:47 AM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Water in engine

Hi group this is Tom amel 46 Maramu no. 125 1983

I have had Aphrodite for 16 years and never had this happen

I used the starter button, one clik and would not turn engine over!

I could not turn drive shaft with pipe wrench!

Opened air cleaner and FULL of water! Took off exhaust hose lots of water

Was able to turn over with wrench with some water coming out

Took off first and last injectors water came out of each cylinder

I think I have most water out?

ShouldI take other injectors off or will water go out ext. valves as I turn over?

Should I put some oil in cylinders before putting injectors back on?

After bleading fuel I will try and start, run for a few and change oil 

There is no water in oil at this point, only in air intake and cyclinders.

I think this will get me going . I am at a small island in Indonesia!

I have been in 30ft seas and 60kts winds and never had this happen.

We had 15to25 down wind 4ft seas the last two days I motored for 4hrs.but ! Only at 1500RPMS I usually

Run2000 Any ideas on putting back together and not happening agin Perkins 4-154 Thanks Tom

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.