Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Jabsco Quite Flush Toilet Maintenance and Head Smell

Bill Kinney <greatketch@...>

Jim,

I am very familar with Vacuflush heads, and have had nothing but good experiences with them.  But you should be aware that they have a specifically designed air-gap backflow preventer in the fresh water supply line as part of their system.

Piping freshwater directly to your toilet without such an air-gap device is not a good idea.

Bill Kinney
SM #160, Harmonie
Narragansett Bay, RI
“Ships and men rot in port."

On Aug 16, 2016, at 18:03, Jim Anderson capt.anderson@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I'll try taking out just the two screws and the niple for the next joker valve change.

I flush with fresh water from the shower most of the time. On the long term to-do wish list is installing a y-valve/selector valve in the engine room for each head's supply to be able to select fresh or sea water supply. Since all vacu-flush heads on other boats are always plumbed with fresh water flush only I don't think there is more than a 1 in 100,000 chance of contaminating the fresh water supply. But if I ever get around to this I will certainly use check/joker valves, and gravity to reduce any posibility of back-flow.
Jim