Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] illustration of the Galvanic Isolator Installation

svperegrinus@yahoo.com

With regard to the 32A limitation on Super Maramu, and having had the original Amel black wire catch of fire quite spectacularly in 2013 (fortunately at a point about 2 metres away from the hull) here's how we tried to tackle the problem to prevent future incidents:

1.  A 30A breaker was installed inside the lazarette at the point where shore power comes in (just aft and above the propane locker)

2.  The replacement cable for the burnt-up Amel black cable is the 50A standard US-yellow.  The higher capacity should help ensure a bit more survivability as the years go by.

3.  The replacement cable ends in a standard yellow US 30A/125V connector, 30A overall being the ceiling for the boat and 125V being actually acceptable for the Mastervolt battery chargers.

4.  In order to connect to a US-style standard 50A/220V marine outlet, we are forced to use an adapter we built: a weatherproof box with a 30A breaker inside.  On the shore-side, there is a pigtail with a male plug for the 50A outlet.  On the side going to the boat's power cable, there is pigtail with a connector for the boat's 30A/125V plug.

In Europe, we have two adaptors:
A.  A 25-ft extension connects our yellow 30A plug to the Euro blue 16A connector
B.  A pigtail connects our yellow 30A plug to the Euro blue 32A connector

Cheerio,

Peregrinus
SM2K Nr. 350
At anchor, Rada di Mezzo Schiffo (Nelson's Bay), Sardinia