Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] illustration of the Galvanic Isolator Installation
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 7:52 AM

With regard to the 32A limitation on Super Maramu,
and having had the original Amel black wire catch of fire
quite spectacularly in 2013 (fortunately at a point about 2
metres away from the hull) here's how we tried to tackle
the problem to prevent future incidents:
1.  A 30A breaker was installed
inside the lazarette at the point where shore power comes in
(just aft and above the propane locker)
2.  The replacement cable for the
burnt-up Amel black cable is the 50A standard US-yellow.
 The higher capacity should help ensure a bit more
survivability as the years go by.
3.  The replacement cable ends in a
standard yellow US 30A/125V connector, 30A overall being the
ceiling for the boat and 125V being actually acceptable for
the Mastervolt battery chargers.
4.  In order to connect to a
US-style standard 50A/220V marine outlet, we are forced to
use an adapter we built: a weatherproof box with a 30A
breaker inside.  On the shore-side, there is a pigtail with
a male plug for the 50A outlet.  On the side going to the
boat's power cable, there is pigtail with a connector
for the boat's 30A/125V plug.
In Europe, we have two
adaptors: A.  A 25-ft extension connects our
yellow 30A plug to the Euro blue 16A connectorB.
 A pigtail connects our yellow 30A plug to the Euro blue
32A connector
Cheerio,
PeregrinusSM2K
Nr. 350At anchor, Rada di Mezzo Schiffo