Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Optional 110 Volt shore power, which wire goes where

James Wendell <ms42phantom54@...>

Bill raises a good point. I have seen contractors (even the "best") compromise the integrity of the wiring by using whatever wire is available. That often means inconsistent colors. It is really important to trace all wiring from the source to the load connection point to be sure the wire is correct, and not rely solely on color. I also agree that the white wire is not used when you connect US 240 volts to an EU boat (only the black, red, and green).

I installed an isolation transformer to prevent any mixups on my Amel. It allows me to connect to any power source (US or EU) and still get 230 volts out. Of course, it does not change frequency, which is another issue to check.

Jamie

s/v Phantom Amel 54 #044

On Saturday, August 20, 2016 11:52 AM, "'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

Jamie,
Your reply to Alex may be correct, but could be misinterpreted.
Connecting a EU boat without a transformer to US power:
The US "White" wire is not used from the shore to the boat when wiring a EU boat to US type power. The short answer is that 220VAC 60htz power has 4 wires and a 230VAC 50htz has three wires. The wire NOT used is the white from shore power. If you use the white, you will have problems including electrocution. Go to Photos and search on "shore" then navigate to the shore power wiring diagram.
Refer to this graphic when connecting a EU boat without a transformer to US power. A EU boat with a transformer should wire the transformer according to the specifications supplied by the manufacturer.
Alex's situation is somewhat confused because the wire from the US plug to the transformer is NOT color coded to US schemes, probably because they did not have that wire available, but that is just a guess.
I have seen at least 4 Amels wired incorrectly to US shore power. Most that I have seen disregard the Earth (green/yellow) and connect the Red110 to Blue, the Black 110 to Brown and the White to the boat's Earth (center prong). This will electrocute you when you touch any center prong on an AC outlet in the boat, the AC water pump, any bonding item such as the propeller or zinc...and may kill someone diving to clean your boat.
I hope this helps all who connect their Amels to US type 220VAC 60htz.
Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On Aug 20, 2016 6:07 AM, "James Wendell ms42phantom54@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Alexandre, the blue wire goes to the neutral connection. The brown wire goes to the hot, and the green/yellow goes to ground.

I am confused where you indicate that you have US Red or Black going to Blue. Are you sure? In the US the white wire should be your neutral.

Jamie

s/v Phantom Amel 54 #044

On Friday, August 19, 2016 12:33 PM, "Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups. com> wrote:

I have 2 shore powers.

The 220 Volt (like every body) and the (optional) 110 Volt going to the (optional) 110 to 220 Volt transformer.

The 220 Volt has 3 wires: Brown, Blue and Yellow/Green
Which are connected to my 50 Amp 125/250 Volt the following way:
US Black (110 Volt) goes to Brown
US Red or Black (110 Volt) goes to Blue
US Green (Ground) goes to Yellow/green
US White is not connected.

All good until there.

Please forgive my ignorance in advance for the coming question:

The110 Volt shore power has 3 wires:
Brown, Blue and Yellow/Green.

I plan on purchasing a 30 Amp 125 Volt socket which has:
Neutral, Hot and Ground

Which cables goes where…
Here is a picture:
http://nikimat.com/shore_ power_plug_125_volt.html