rubber Rub Rail gutter

Mike Ondra

We are repainting the rubrail after 16 years of doing its job. How easy or difficult has the experience been to remove the rubber rub rail gutter and then re-install it. The cross-sectional drawing detail implies this should be a fairly easy task of pulling up on the inboard side of the gutter and rotating the gutter up and out, the outboard side being “notched” around the edge of the fiberglass forming the rub rail. Installation would be the reverse, perhaps benefitting from a little lubrication. Our concern is that the rubber has hardened and stiffened over the years and may not be sufficiently pliable to accomplish removal and installation easily.

Mike Ondra

S/V Aletes SM#240

Rock Hall, MD